Citations Not Inserting Properly

I just purchased Endnote X4 for Windows, and I am experiencing troubles properly inserting citations.

I have found the references which I wish to cite, but upon inserting them, they only appear in my Bibliography and not in the parantheses as they should (Shaw, 2010).  What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix this?

I am using the Windows version of Endnote X4 on Windows 7 x64 on 32-bit Office 2010 (Word 2010).

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the citation template is missing from your output style file. To check, go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, EDIT name of your style. 

In the style’s dialog box (see attached example of the APA 6th), locate the Citations heading and click “Template”. If the In-Text Citation box on the right is blank, you can create one just by manually typing and using the Insert Field to select field names and to add special symbols like the Forced Separation (|) and the Link to Adjacent Text.

Close the style dialog box when completed. The changes will be saved as a copy (e.g., APA 6th Copy) so you will need to adjust both EndNote and MS Word to use the file copy.

Or just select a different output style.  Which one are you using?

Perhaps this training video would be of some help in choosing alternative styles.  I think you just need to select a more appropriate style, rather than starting off editing one. 

@leanne wrote:

Perhaps this training video would be of some help in choosing alternative styles.  I think you just need to select a more appropriate style, rather than starting off editing one. 

I had actually already viewed that video prior to writing this post.  I think it might be useful for Reuters to post a video about the problem I had.

The solution you posted works.  Thanks for your help.

Can anyone tell me how to select which pages I am citing?  I have it configured in my template now, but I do not know how to tell Endnote which pages I’ve cited.

Thanks.