creating a new reference type: I'm so confused

Please bear with me, I’m still learning my way around the software.

I’m using MLA style. The reference type “film/broadcast” is way too generic for me, so I set out to create a couple new ones, specifically for broadcast news reports. I read all the directions. Went to preferences, got to ‘modify reference types’ and picked one to modify (patent).

Changed the title, added/removed fields.

Clicked ok.

And nothing.  No response, no change to the reference type.

I know I must be missing obvious, but I’m quite confused and would appreciate any suggestions.

A subsidiary question:  Is it possible to change field names? For example, ‘reporter’ instead of author? 

Endnote version?  If X2 or X3, you need to save as a new name.  Then you need to load that style name to apply it.  Don’t try giving it the same name, as it will save it to a different folder and you don’t have an easy way to select the new version as opposed to the old version. 

Yes, you can change the field name in a specific reference type.  You will need to edit >preferences and go into the Ref Type table and edit the ref type, i.e.  film/broadcast.  Don’t change it in the first dropdown you see  - which changes the “default” style (unless you want that style to come up as default, obviously!) 

“Modify Reference Types”, then choose the style you want to alter from author to reporter. 

Sorry, I should have said: X3 on a MacBook Pro.

I think I may have got some basic terminology mixed up.  You said:

<<Endnote version?  If X2 or X3, you need to save as a new name.  Then you need to load that style name to apply it.  Don’t try giving it the same name, as it will save it to a different folder and you don’t have an easy way to select the new version as opposed to the old version. >>

I’m using the MLA style. If I understand you correctly, in order to add another reference type to the MLA style, I need to save a copy of it first, with a new name (MLA-2, for example), is that right? If so, that’s the problem because my failed attempt started with what you describe in your second paragraph:

<<Yes, you can change the field name in a specific reference type.  You will need to edit >preferences and go into the Ref Type table and edit the ref type, i.e.  film/broadcast.  Don’t change it in the first dropdown you see  - which changes the “default” style (unless you want that style to come up as default, obviously!) >>

Assuming for a moment I’ve understood you correctly, I’ll go off and try again. Thanks so much for your help.

Yes, it can be confusing.  There are Reference Types, which are defined in the Preferences.  there you name the fields. 

If you change the field name there, it may automatically change the name for that field in the output style, or it may not.  So if you change it to, say “reporter” in the Reference Type, do make sure you check the output style you are using - and make sure it is changed either by the program (automatically- but probably won’t), or by your inserting the new field name. 

So the Style is the other piece.  The styles are for different publications requirements.  The preferences/Ref type settings are computer specific and apply to all records (of that reference type).

I have an example of both open in the attached GIF (although the preferences are over the output style window). At the bottom you can see that “director” is used in my style for the film, because in the ref type, I have renamed the  “Author” field as “Director”. 

When entering info into the record, Director shows up as the field name as in the second attached GIF. 

record.gif

I think I cracked it – with the help of your gifs.  I’m attaching one of my own so you can see the result. Thanks again.

new ref

1 Like