Duplicate references!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?

What in the world were programmers thinking when they chose to take a standard Mac keyboard shortcut for “Duplicate” (command-D) and make it into “DELETE”!!! Shame on me for not realizing that obvious error since I have been using EndNote since 1992. Sometimes I have awkward references that I just need to duplicate. I am just flabbergasted at this gaff. Please read the “Human Interface Guidelines” from Apple Inc. and try and be consistent with the platform you are writing for.

Thanks. 

EndNote X2 uses “Command D” correctly per the Apple guidlines. In EndNote we call this function “Move to Trash” but it is essentially the same as “delete”. See the attached screen shot.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

ENX2DupesMac.gif

Someone at EndNote must have misread the guidelines, see http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGUserInput/chapter_12_section_3.html. It is Command-Delete key, NOT Command-D.

I have attached a screen shot of the correct key combination for Delete/Move to Trash.

Maybe you could take a look at them both. I can assure you that Command-D does not mean delete. :wink:

Thanks. 

deletekey.gif

Interesting.  I never used the Ctrl-D command in Endnote, and wouldn’t have predicted that behavior in Win EN either.  In MS-Word, it brings up the Change Font window.  and in IE it Adds the current page to your favorites, so it probably shouldn’t delete either in the Win version.  I always use Ctrl+X for that.  I guess it might come from the Bash Shell, where it to “delete character forward” as opposed to back. 

I stand corrected. This function has been in the Macintosh versions of EndNote at least back to version 4 so there are millions of others who either have not noticed this or not seemed to mind.

To “duplicate” a record in EndNote, you simply use copy and paste in the Library window. This will create a copy of the original record but will have a new Record Number to distinguish it from the original.

I remember when I was using Filemaker Pro and Endnote in Mac, I always needed to be extremely carefull.

Control+D is duplicate record for Filamaker, and control+D is delete record for Endnote.

Since both programs originate from Mac platform, I don’t know which one is following Apple’s guideline.

Per this Apple document:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGKeyboardShortcuts/chapter_950_section_1.html

Command-D and the Duplicate function are not a Mac OS-defined standard. So, EndNote is not really breaking any formal rules. Although, in general it is best to follow the examples of other Apple software products so as not to confuse users.