"Editor" specific formatting not applying, trated as "Author" - SOLVED (sort of)

Hi,

I’m running EndNote 20.6 with Word Professional 2019 and I have setup a custom reference style for an upcoming publication that uses a very internal style…

Everything works as expected in my footnotes except the formatting for Editors of Edited Books.

In edited books I do use the Editor field instead of the Author field, naturally, but then capitalisation, listing and such follow the settings form the Author tabs, not the settings from the Editor tab.

I need to format the author of a book section and the book editors of the same book in two different capitalisations, but as is I get the same formatting for both (following what i set in the Author Name tab). The same applies for Editor Lists.

A) is there any general setting or style setting I should look for to distinguish the two type of records?

B) Is this behaviour style dependent or general? Is it intended?

B)Is this due to the fact that I do use the Edited Book and Book record types as intended? Should I hack the records and use Books and Series Editors to get the desired output?

I can’t attach the style file in question due to me being a first poster.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

After some troubleshooting I came to the conclusion that the software treats the Author field and the Editor field as the same item in the database when it comes to Edited Books.

The Editor Name and lists applies to the “Series Editor” field, not the “Editor” field in an Edited Book/Book Section. As a matter of fact, items recorded as Book Sections which report both the Author field and the Editor field are formatted correctly.

In the case of Edited Books the Editor field is treated as an Author and responds to editor formatting: in this case if Authors and Editors need to be formatted differently and you want to cite an Edited Book and not a Book Section of an Edited Book, you need to use the Series Editor field in the record to have the formatting follow the Editor settings and not the Author settings.

This is the first time in 10 years of Endnote usage I have ever come across this. The only workaround is to edit the items in the library that I wish to format as requested by my publisher, whose requests are arguably the only reason I came around this “issue”. The Editor field will need to be left blank or with some version of the “various authors” abbreviation and the actual editors will need to go to the Series Editor field. This is a very niche problem, but I don’t think the solution is particularly elegant.

I think changing the name tag of the same record (author/editor) only to have it point at the same item in the database is not a good solution.

I would suggest either respecting the Editor field uniqueness in the Edited Book record type and have it follow the Editor tab settings or rename that field in the Edited Book record type to Author. I do understand Series Editors and Book editors are not the same thing, but neither are Authors and Editors.