Endnote 6.0.1 broken with Word 14.2.5

I just upgraded both Endnote 6.0.1 and Office 11 to 14.2.5.

Everything seems broken. CWW doesnt launch. Even if you get it to launch the buttons dont work. Trying to format a bibliography or insert references straight from Endnote also doesnt do anything.

Anybody know how to fix this besides rolling the software back to their previous versions?

It’s working for me with that software pair. I assume you’re running Mountain Lion OSX 10.8.2.

Under Endnote X6/Customizer be sure to check “Cite While You Write addin for Microso” (the rest of the text is truncated) and follow the installation steps.

I’m having the same problems, except the CWYW does seem to launch without a problem. Endnote 6.0.1, Word 14.2.5, Mac OS X 10.8.2. Going through either the Word command menu and tools or using the EndNote toolbar, trying to insert a citation, the program just hangs for almost a minute, then a small window pops up with the EndNote icon and says “EndNote is not responding. Error = -1712” Click the OK button and it takes me back to the Word document with nothing in it.

Endnote Error Box.jpg

JCS77: I was just flipping around some of the other threads, and in one about poor performance, I found this post by one of the moderators. It fixed the problem I was having, which was similar to yours. I bet it will fix yours as well. I’ve copied his post here, since I don’t know how to link to it.

Greetings,

For those of you who have installed Mac OS 10.8.2 and are experiencing slowness while working within EndNote, please try this test:

1.  Open your Activity Monitor.  Activity Monitor is found inside a folder called “Utilities”, which is inside your “Applications” folder. 

2.  With the Activity Monitor running, choose “All Processes” from the “Show” drop-down and then sort the display by the “Process Name” column by clicking the column’s label.

3.  After sorting this list by Process Name, look for a process called ‘appleeventsd’.  If you are able to find the appleeventsd process, highlight this entry and click “Quit Process”. 

4.  When you are prompted to confirm this action, press “Force Quit”.

5.  Once appleeventsd has been reset by the Force Quit selection, switch back to EndNote to see if you’re still experiencing slowness.

Please let me know what you find. 

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com

We are currently beta testing a release designed to specifically address the “EndNote is not responding : error -1712” when using EndNote X6 with Word 2011 on OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion. No other updates or new functionality will be included in this release.

Before participating in beta testing, you should understand the following:

• EndNote X6.0.1 must already be installed on your Mac and you must be running OS X 10.8.2.
  • The beta release will replace your current version of EndNote X6. Beta releases will time out at the conclusion of the beta cycle and you will need to reinstall X6 (instructions will be provided).
  • Installing the beta release will not change your current preferences (customized reference types, sync, duplicate checking, etc.)
  • While we make every effort to ensure stable beta releases and do perform testing prior to public release, it is not possible to test every “real world” scenario that may occur. By nature, beta software may cause crashes and is not intended for use with time-critical projects.
  • Beta testing should never be performed using “live” customized content (libraries, Word documents, output style files, etc.). Always work with copies of customized content when beta testing.

If you understand the points above and would like to participate, please send an e-mail to rs {dot} betacoordinator {at symbol} Thomson.com that includes your full name and e-mail address plus the serial number of your current version of EndNote (found in Help, About EndNote). We will send further instructions after the e-mail is received.

Best regards,

Sharon

The Thomson Reuters Endnote Team 

Hello all,

The EndNote X6.0.2 patch is now available. You can download it here:

http://endnote.com/downloads/available-updates

Thank you for  your feedback to help us research and fix this problem.

Best regards,

Sharon

The Thomson Reuters EndNote Team