Endnote can't import

@rani wrote:

…So, some of them copy, and when I went through the cites, one by one and tried to copy them (very time consuming), I did go through the sets that led to a rejection, and found that some of the file attachments have “shadow” / ghost attachments… I’m attaching two jpgs, one which has a print to screen image of what I see in the faulty cites.

…Most of them work fine, it’s just the cites with the ghost files (again, see jpg) that don’t work and muck up everything I’m trying to do.

Honestly, this is such a  no brainer in the Ednote software development end.   Why do they set the software so it cancels the entire import because of one bad link?  It should instead move that cite to an error folder similar to the duplicates folder and let the importing continue.

Just to clarify some of your prior comments, when you said “all the data folders remain in my main Endnote.fil folder, where I also keep the enl files” does this mean your main EndNote folder is named “Endnote.fil” or was this a typo?  Also to further clarify, the .enl files are not placed within a .data folder but maintained outside of the folder but within the same directory?

Thanks for running through the tests which shifts focus to these “ghost” attachments as  the heart of the problem. Coincidentally, another user (fitz_m) reported a similar problem of “phantom” attachments from ProQuest (refer to this thread where fitz_m also posted tech support’s solution. In that case, EndNote tech support identified the problem as the filter.)  But this raises a side-question: did you notice a pattern of the “ghost” attachments?  Do they occur at random or are they affiliated with a certain database or journal?

In your case,  it appears removing the “ghost” attachments is the first priority but identifying and removing them is a big problem as you’ve already noted.  Since the ghost attachment icon is image-based and mimics a real pdf it doesn’t have any unique characteristic to easily identify and remove (either in EndNote or another software) - apart from opening each reference and deleting the icons.  Do you know whether the pdfs have DOI identifiers?  A possibility (but still painful) would be to test making a copy of the .enl file, delete all the attachments; then copy the pdfs from the .data folder into a single folder and import the pdfs - the idea is to remove the “ghosts” by creating “new” attachments.  But if the number of “DOI”-less pdfs outnumber the “ghosts” than it’s not worth the effort.

Sorry, Rani, I don’t there’s a quick and easy fix at hand. Since these situations seem to occur (based on your and fitz_m’s experiences and maybe others as well), there should be an EndNote tool/app for removing these ghost icons in a quick and easy fashion - your last comment would be a great product enhancement.