I tried to install the Endnote Web Application on my Mac several times, but it never appeared in the Word toolbars or under “extra”, or anywhere… So I am not able to use this program. The installation always worked perfectly well, but it doesn’t appear in my Word. Does anybody know what I have to do or where the problem could be?
I had the same problem and finally found the solution. The problem is probably that your start up folder is not set in your Word preferences. Here is what I found on the Endnote FAQ:
EndNote X1/X2: If after installing the Word 2008 SP1 update and following the instructions above the tools still do not appear:
1. Close Word and EndNote.
2. Open your hard drive and go to Applications:EndNote X1/X2:Cite While You Write.
3. Copy the file “EndNote CWYW Word 2008.bundle” by highlighting the file and going to “Edit > Copy.”
4. Go to the folder Applications:Microsoft Office 2008: Office:Startup:Word and paste the file, “Edit Paste.”
Note: In non-English versions of Word, the folder named “Startup” may be called “Start” or be in the localized language of Word.
5. Start Word, go to “Word > Preferences” and click on “File Locations.”
6. If the Startup folder is not set, highlight “Startup” and click on “Modify”. Select the folder Applications:Microsoft Office 2008: Office:Startup:Word and click “Choose.”
7. Click “OK” and close Word.
8. Start EndNote and then start Word.
So, make sure you have EndNote CWYW Word 2008.bundle in Applications:Microsoft Office 2008: Office:Startup:Word, then open Word and set your start up foledr location in File: Preferences. That should do it!
Message Edited by steph on 06-05-2009 03:25 AM
i tried everything you said in the comment. but a sign saying: “this add-in could not be opend” (or something like it in german…) keeps showing up! what ist the problem? do i need to change any preferences in my system? something like: “allow add-in”?
i need the program desperately, so thanks for any help!
i forgot to say, that i´m using office for mac 2010…
There is no Mac office 2010; is it 2011? and the current release isn’t compatible with office 2011 yet (but about to be released any second I think). There is a webpage to followand public release is still available here.
now that the Endnote Web plugin is cleared for Office 2011, I’ve installed it on a Mac OS X 10.6.8 machine, the EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle is in the correct place in
/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Startup/Word/
and my preferences is updated to point at that folder. But I still don’t get it to work.
Briefly for a minute, in one specific document, there was a Endnote Web option in the
View > Toolbars
menu, but when I closed that specific document the option was gone. I don’t know what caused it to appear in the first place…
Grateful for any input. Thanks!
Dept of Computer Science and Communication
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm SWEDEN