EndNote X3: Installation of CWYW for OpenOffice.org Writer [German system]

Installed the demo version of EndNote X3 on Windows XP (all service packs installed) – worked fine, except that there was no EndNote menu in OpenOffice.org Writer 3.01 (in custom installation mode, I had deselected CWYW-support for MS Office, and selected OOo-support instead).  Re-running the installation (“modify”) from either the installation file or the control panel did not help (all in admin-mode with OO.o Qickstarter closed, of course).

So I made a new folder “13” within the existing (from my previous X1-version) folder “C:\Program Files\Common Files\ResearchSoft\CWYW” [1], to which I then copied the file “EndNote.oxt” found in “C:\Program Files\EndNote X3\Product-Support\CWYW” [2].

Then, I just had to activate the extension: in OO.o Writer, “Tools” [3] => “Extension Manager” => “Add” , go to the new “13” folder, select “EndNote.oxt”, and “Open” .  I then chose “For all users”, and “Close” , re-started Writer, and now the Endnote-Menu showed up just nicely (handbook, troubleshooting-section, p. 699).

I for one applaud this new feature, as I neither have nor want MS Office, and found the previous workaround via .rtf a bit tedious (the Java-CWYW [beta] for Linux/wine already having been quite an improvement).

HTH,

Ieragadu

1 [“C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\ResearchSoft\Cwyw” on my German system]

2 [“C:\Programme\EndNote X3\Product-Support\CWYW”]

3 [“Extras”]

Message Edited by Ieragadu on 2009-06-23 11:42 AM

Did you install OpenOffice.org for “all users on the computer…” or just for yourself? OpenOffice.org must be installed for “all users” in order for the EndNote X3 CWYW extension to automatically install. This is by design.

Glad to hear that you like the feature.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Sorry, had forgotten to mention that:  I install all my programs for “all users on the computer…” in admin mode, but use them only as regular user. Dunno why it didn’t work this time – that’s why I posted this workaround, in case someone else experinces this …

If you would not mind sending me a copy of your EndNote X2 Install Log, this might be helpful for us. This can be found in the Temp directory:

For a Germany versions of Windows that is likely -

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\<User>\Lokale Einstellungen\Temp\EndNote X3 Install.log

Or, type “%TEMP%” into the address line in Windows explorer and it will take you to the directory on your system.

Thanks.

Jason Rollins, The EndNote team - jason.rollins@thomsonreuters.com