EndNote X4 "Could not initialise database error in Windows 7 with Office 2007

Hi Guys,

We are currently attempting to get EndNote X4 to function correctly in a education environment where we have many computer labs. We are currently experiencing the initalising database error when trying to create or open a existing library with any users who are logging in after the first user. We have already turned off UAC in our image but this does not seem to be working. We’ve tried giving full rights to the everyone group at the EndNoteX4 folder in C:\Program Files folder.

We’ve also tried running the application in Compatibility mode as well as running the application as an administrator.

Any ideas would be helpful at this point in time. As we’re quite heavily invested into EndNote here at our University. I’d like to rectify this issue as soon as possible.

Thanks for vewing guys

Berry

You really should be talking to tech support, perhaps even thru Customer service. 

Where are the libraries located on the system?  If they are being placed in Program Files, that could be the problem.  Try creating / opening a library in the user’s Documents folder, or their Desktop and see if the issue continues.

Starting with Windows Vista, Windows will not allow you to directly modify files in Progam Files.  If you try to modify, add, or delete files in Program FIles Windows will work with shadow copies of the files hidden elsewhere on the system which can cause errors like this.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately we have already tried what you have suggested.

The first user who logins after a restart is fine can create and open the library they created.

But each user after the first has a problem with creating the library.

We are not creating the libraries in the programs folder and have tried to have them created either on the desktop or the Documents folder.

I’ve also tried a stock standard install of EndNote X4 as well and the same problem exists.

Has anyone else in the Education or corporate environment experienced this?

Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks again Peter.

Berry

To solve the problem, please change the Endnote preferences as follows:

1. Open Endnote. 2. From the top bar menu, select Edit > Preferences. 3. Click on “Libraries” on the left hand column. 4. Against “When Endnote starts”, open the pull-down menu and then select “Open the specified libraries”. (DO NOT click on the button for “Add open libraries” or “Remove Library”.) 5. Click on the “Apply” button. 6. Click on the “OK” button.
    With this, the error message you encountered will not be displayed when you open your Endnote library.

To solve the problem,change the Endnote preferences as follows, this should work.

1. Open Endnote.

2. From the top bar menu, select Edit > Preferences.

3. Click on “Libraries” on the left hand column.

4. Against “When Endnote starts”, open the pull-down menu and then select “Open the specified libraries”. (DO NOT click on the button for “Add open libraries” or “Remove Library”.)

5. Click on the “Apply” button.

6. Click on the “OK” button.

With this, the error message you encountered will not be displayed when you open your Endnote library.
Good luck

The instructions you provided is for when you already have an existing library database that needs to be opened. My problem is that if I click on New to create the database, I get that same error. 

Sorry for the late reply, however this issue is usually either caused by permissions for the location where you are trying to create or open a library, or an issue with a running process on the machine. The easiest way to tell is to restart the machine. %90 of the time this will fix the issue. If it does not, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus to see if you continue to have the issue.

I still had the same error after trying the suggested technique, please provide some usefull suggestions at url=[http://www.landscape-architects-raleigh.com/]landscape architects raleigh nc[/url]