EndNote X7 - Sync/Quit Error

I’m glad my notet inspired someone.  Unfortunately, I discovered that just resetting the sync did nothing in the long run.  If I return to the original library and reset it to those credentials, then enable sync, I am able to sync.  But if I try to sync again it just hangs for hours, until I force it to stop using the task manager.  

If I then change the credentials once again, then change back, I can sync again, but only once.

This is a truly unacceptable situation!!!

:angry:

These are the problems I had with endnote X7.

1. Sync stops at “Receiving Account Info”
  2. After several attempts to Sync, it leads to “Cannot open the library due to some error” and need to recover the library under new name.
  3. Even, a single reference will be added thousands of times again and again into the library.
  4. On multiple computers sync doesn’t make same number of references.

It was really frustrating and wasted several days . I was able to solve many of these problems by doing the following.

STOP USING AUTOMATIC SYNC.

1. CLOSE THE LIBRARY.
  2. GO TO EDIT → PREFERENCES–> SYNC–>REMOVE THE TICK MARK ON SYNC AUTOMATICALLY
  3. EACH TIME OPEN THE LIBRARY FRESH. GO TO FILE–>OPEN–>OPEN LIBRARY–> SELECT YOUR FILE
  4. NOW TRY SYNC. GO TO TOOLS–>SYNC.

IF THIS DOESN’T WORK WITH YOUR CURRENT LIBRARY, MAKE A NEW ONE AND FOLLOW THE STEPS GIVEN ABOVE.

THE BEST SOLUTION WILL BE TO SAVE YOUR LIBRARY IN A CLOUD LIKE GOOGLE DRIVE TO AVOID THIS WHOLE MESS.

A new problem I have right now is that whenever I try to delete a field from the reference, the program shuts down. I don’t know anyone is having this problem or reported before.

Aftering I installed the X7 endnote, I synched the local database with my endnoteweb, it appeared an error message of internal server error”.

2013-08-29_162122.png

It seems it will sync fine the first time, but each successive time it freezes.  I found that if I set the account credentials to a different account (the first account I created using a different email address instead of my current address), which I did unknowingly to sync a separate database of references, when I go back to the original database (about 7200 records), the sync is reset (as if there was never a sync set for the database).  I assume this is similar to resetting the local sync status, which EndNote recommended.  When I reenter the current credentials and click enable sync, the database syncs with no problem!  Hopefully Thomson Reuters will figure this out, so I won’t have to keep resetting the sync settings.

This is especially annoying since I would like to use the ipad app more, but this only would work if the sync is working.  Also clouud storage of libraries is discouraged by thomson reuters because it may easily corrupt the library (this has happened to me many times).

I should add that I tried this on the same computer with a library that had 65 references in it and had the same problem.

Why Mac users don’t have an update yet?

I am having the same problem reported by many other users. Even after installing the latest update. Oddly enough, my library is actually synced but EndNote fails to close as reported by others. I opened a case and the technical support representative acknowledged this bug and that X7.0.1 fixed the problem for many users. I am hesitant to upgrade my Mac OS version of EndNote as fixes seem to take longer on the Mac side.

What really surprises me is how old this problem is (first reported in may) and how long is taking Thompson to fix it.

I am having this problem - but only occasionally.

What can we do to fix this?

I’m still having the same problem and the 7.0.1 fix did not help.  I have stopped syncing my library.  This is not the solution I would like, but the only one that currently works.

Hello!

To tzucker and anyone else still experiencing this issue – we want to track and troubleshoot this problem. There may be other causes behind this issue other than the one we addressed in the X7.0.1 update, and if so we want to find and correct them.

Therefore, anyone who is still experiencing this issue after updating to X7.0.1, please contact our Technical Support team if you have not already done so:

http://endnote.com/support/contact-support

We apologize for the inconvenience!

I contacted technical support about this issue and they suggested to manually sync which every now and then stalls. I urge technicall support to post a workaround for this issue as it is making a very usefull feature useless. On the other hand, what can users do to help? I already contacted support and nothing was requested from me.

I have contacted tech support about this in the past and even sent a video of the problem.  I just resubmitted a ticket to tech support in hopes that someone will pay attention to it.

At the current time my only workaround is to disable auto sync.

Hello, tzucker:

We’re actually working on an update for this right now – that’s one of the reasons I asked that anyone still experiencing this contact technical support. We don’t have a specific date right now, but we want to make sure we’re tracking those with the problem so we can address them as soon as possible.

Apologies I don’t have anything more concrete right now, but changes are coming. We greatly appreciate your patience!

Gillian,

Thanks for your reply.  I have received an email from tech support and am currently troubleshooting with them.

Same or at least similar problem on Mac 10.6. I submitted a tech support request separately.

Any news reg this? I installed x7 today unaware of this issue. Updated to 7.0.2 build 7390 at once. First, I got a message saying that my main library was damaged and I needed to use the recover tool. I did and merged two libraries into 1 file. Then all hell broke loose and I was unable to even select one reference, let alone do any large operations. Such as closing the program. Got several error messages, including “server reference store internal error - server.dbexception.internalerror: an error occurred while retrieving groups”. I’ve been syncing and force quitting all day and quite frankly I am close to tears. After reading the tips here I have managed to halt the sync process and delete duplicates. All my groups are empty and in three versions. It will take me quite a while to sort through again, ok. I need to write my literature review ASAP, ok. but I will not spend another hour until I know for sure this issue have been resolved! Please let me know folks, I am seriously desperate right now :slight_smile:

Hello, Capolita:

That sounds terrible! The issue referred to in this thread was resolved, and presented quite differently than what you’re describing. I therefore believe you’re having a different, unique issue.

Please contact our Tech Support team as soon as possible so we can get you back on your feet.

Hi, and thanks for speedy reply. The larger part of my problems occured just as described earlier in this thread. I have now managed to resolve the freezed sync situation, but have lost over 200 references that will not sync back to my desktop in addition to having empty groups. I will start a tech support case as you suggest. Thank you for getting back to me. 

All the best,

Caroline Hoel

PhD student

Can someone confirm whether the X7 sync problem still exists or whether it has been fixed? Thanks!

Unfortunately the error still exist!

Okay, well I’m not willing to update to X7 until they fix the error.