EndNote X7 - Sync/Quit Error

It WAS fixed. After I reorganized my groups into group sets and synced: I am back to the Sync/Quit problem.

At the bottom right of EndNote window there is the progress bar for “Retrieving groups…” which has been running for 4 hours.

I know they are working very hard to fix this X7 glitch.  

This is not a glitch, THIS IS A MAJOR BUG.

While I wait for a fix, I decided to stop using EndNote X7 in my laptop. Hence, I started working on my Desktop PC running EndNoteX6, at some point it synced. Lo and behold! I lost a number of groups resulting in some 269 unfiled references. And this despite the fact that I did not delete/remove any group, just empty group sets.

Now I have to find my latest backup in order to hopefully recover my groups. Thank you EndNote X7 for consuming my time and making my life harder.

I too am having this problem. Just upgraded to X7 today in the hopes that the iPad app would be worthwhile. But Endnote for Windows just hangs on sync and Task Manager is the only way to kill off the process. Ugh!!!

I reinstalled X5 but it’s not syncing the groups in my library.

Hope the developers fix this BUG ASAP.

@epnoble:

You should try using X6 and the ipad app they work together very well.  BTW, only basic groups sync to endnoteweb.  Smart Groups, group sets, groups based on groups have never been able to sync to the web version.  Also you need to make sure that if you have two groups with the same name in differnet group sets that you rename them before you sync (since group sets don’t sync).

1 Like

EndNote just released an X.7.01 update to fix the endnote web sync bug.  Does the sync work for anyone after the update?

I started trying it yesterday and it is still running.  So still no.  I have been in contact with tech support regarding this and they have been helpful.  I will post here if I get it working.

On the other hand I believe my librarian did get it working.

I downloaded X7.0.1 and sync works now – but I needed help in resetting the online database. Once that took place, sync works fine. There are no more problems with Endnote hanging.

Did they have to reset the online DB for you?  If so did you just talk to tech support?

The update did not solve my sync problems.

I also tried to re-install endnote (after wiping its leftovers from the registry), update it, reset my online data (I contacted support and they sent me a DOC file with the steps), and then sync (it sucessfully sent all my references to myendnoteweb). But it still gets stuck at “Retrieving group sets…” and I need to use the Task Manager to end the endnote task.

Do anyone know if there is a way of getting a more verbose output of sync is doing? (and hopefully of what is breaking it)

Or a way of editing a file to remove all my group sets? (I removed them all before syncing, but sync brough all of them back)

The update did not solve my sync problems.

I also tried to re-install endnote (after wiping its leftovers from the registry), update it, reset my online data (I contacted support and they sent me a DOC file with the steps), and then sync (it sucessfully sent all my references to myendnoteweb). But it still gets stuck at “Retrieving group sets…” and I need to use the Task Manager to end the endnote task.

Does anyone know if there is a way of getting a more verbose output of what sync is doing? (and hopefully of what is breaking it)

Or a way of editing a file to remove all my group sets? (I removed them all before syncing, but sync brough all of them back)

If you look in your .DATA folder, in addition to the 3 subfolders, do you have any PDFs or JPGs at that level?  

Hi, Leanne.

No, I do not, I only have the 3 subfolders. (But I used to keep my Connections, Filters and Styles folders inside the .DATA folder. However, that is not the case for my current library)

Regards,

Davi

Darn,  I was hoping that was our common problem.  I had a bunch of files left over from the days when I attached figures in the old field, before the file attachment route.  That is where they still were.  Was about to do a clean sync without them… 

Hi,

first forum post, so I hope I’m doing it correctly…

I had only just got used to x6 and just about got everything I needed to to work.  However there were features that made me decide to upgrade to x7 last month.  It has the same problem as above.  It doesn’t sync, having ‘retrieving account info’ constantly at the bottom right corner and I cannot quit the program without using task manager. If I chose ‘finish sync’ nothing changes, if I say ‘close now’, the window freezes.  I have updated to 7.01, I don’t have the guts to play with my registry.  In the .data folder there are 4 folders: pdf, rdb, tdb and trash and one random pdf file dated from before I upgraded.

On ‘sync status…’ it appears to look at the sync library, and collects the correct data, but the ‘sync was last run’ is the time I last opened the program, and the status is that there are changes that need to be sent and received.

I would be grateful for any assistance in combat this

X7 for mac seems to have a problem with sync too (although admittedly I have a library which is deliberately intended to test EndNote).

If I capture a reference with the web tool it saves to my web space and syncs down to my desktop library, but sync never appears to complete without error - message is “An error occurred while updating reference” - and if I set sync to automatic EndNote periodically “nags” for me to acknowledge the error by clicking OK.

This is a library which was syncing with X6 without error messages. However the error message possibly implies that there’s an individual entry which is problematic.

EndNote doesn’t hang when all this happens.

Not a dire problem for me personally as this is a test library but worrying if it may affect our users.

I’m using X7 Mac. I was having a problem similar to those reported here until I cleaned out my online library completely and started again. It seems much better now, although the lack of smart groups and inability to sort by author’s last name is pretty strange.

I was having this problem syncing and posted about it as well as contacted support.  I ended up clearing out my online library and resetting my sync settings on my local computer.  The initial sync took a long time, but after that it seemed to be working, until a couple of days ago.  Now if I click on “Sync Status…” It gets the information fine, and tells me I need to sync local data to the web.  Since I turned off automatic sync (when I started having this problem) I clicked on sync and it tried to sync for about 36 hours unsuccessfully.  I had to force quit endnote in order to stop it.  I am trying again and it seems to have gotten one step further (before it only got up to authorizing I believe now it is on “Retrieving account info …”).  It has been running about 6 hours so far.

Interesting thing happened today regarding this issue. 

I needed to sync a separate database with a different endnorteweb account.  Normally I don’t do this on my work computer but this time was special.  After syncing the small new database to a separate account, I found that when I opened the database I was having trouble with previously, the sybc settings had been changed - not a surprise, but nonetheless unexpected.  When I changed the sync settings back (I had to close it several times in order for Endnote to change the library for me since I can’t edit that field), and synced the database, everything worked fine!!!:smiley:

So my suggestion is that if you are still having problems - try syncing another database to a different web account, then go back to the original and reset the sync settings and sync.

Thank you for your post it inspired me in trying again.

After trying a number of things it became clear that my issue was in something on EndNote’s online end. So I decided to try the following: sync over a VPN connection so that I have an IP from my institution: bingo! Sync works without a glitch using an IP of my institution (the one that pays for EndNote).

After changing something in my library, I can consistently reproduce the error if I use an external IP and I can consistently reproduce the fix by using an IP of my institution.

I wonder how long an online account has to be before experiencing this crap…

To Thomson Reuters (I will not bother writing to you outside this forum):

• Add an error message indicating the source of the problem;

• Take a hint from Microsoft: after a successful sync from the paying institution, add (at least) 6 months before any nagging (or even worse: the current “stopping the function without an explanation”).