EndNote X7 - Sync/Quit Error

Everytime I click “Close” for Endnote X7 is says:

"You have made changes that have not been synced. Do you want to Sync them now? 

If you do not sync the changes now, they will be sent the next time you open this library".

If I click “No” then it quits ok, but the same pop-up appears the next time I open and try to close EndNote, even if I don’t do anything.

If I click “Yes”, “Authorizing” and “Recieving Account Info…” appear in the bottom right corner for about 3 seconds, then nothing. I click “Close” again and get the same message. This loop continues until I click “No”

While not a huge issue (assuming I am still syncing), it is rather annoying and I would appreciate help fixing it.

I have experienced an almost similar issue.  I get the same message when I attempt to quit X7.  I also played around with the sync and noticed when I sync one of my records data gets deleted.  The same PMID each time.  At first I just copied all the data from a new record into the old one (in order to keep the numbering), but when I synced it deleted it again.  I did the copy routine again and the next sync deleted the newer record’s data, while keeping the changes I made to the old record.  More recently, I left the computer syncing overnight and it was still on that screen when I came in in the morning.  I had to use the task manager to quit the application as it was frozen.

Hi. A couple questions on this. This message dialog comes up when there are local changes on the desktop that have not been sent to the server. Have you had any sync  conflicts that have not been resolved? Conflicts come up as a local change and this will cause the dialog to keep coming up.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

I have made local changes and synced successfully.  But the real problem is he sync freezing the computer and deleting reference data.  BTW, if I answer the message to continue sync, sometimes it will work but sometimes it just freezes.  If I wasn’t using the ipad app I wouldn’t even bother with sync - that’s how bad it is.

My library is only medium size - about 7100 references - but I use a lot of smart groups, group sets and groups based on groups, NONE of which sync!  This is a major drawback.  I have suggested that this be addressed ASAP, since this is one of he major reasons people at my institution and other institutions are searching out other means of sharing endnote libraries, or simply changing to a different reference manager.  I have made this suggestion in person and on this forum and in the endnote suggestions for developers section, but apparently nobody is listening.

Greetings Thomas,

I do apologize for the difficulties you’ve encountered when attempting to utilize EndNoteSync. Your issue is being escalated and I’ll be creating a new Technical Support case for this transaction.  If you don’t receive a case creation email, please respond to this forum post and let me know.

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com

Hello Jimmy,

I’m having a similar, though slightly different problem.  I’ve only been using x7 for a couple of days but I’m considering going back to x6.  I’ve attached a screen grab showing the message I receive when trying to close the program.  Note the lower right corner of the program screen where it says ‘retrieving account info’.  It will remain like that for hours without proceeding or telling me there’s any issue with my login.  Further, while it is in this ‘limbo’ state, a number of the function keys are greyed out (see the top of the image).  I’ve checked my login information in preferences and re-entered my information and it looks like it’s connecting…but obviously it is not.  Unlike the previous posts, I cannot simply choose to ‘close now’ and shut down the program, I have to go into task manager and end the process to get the program to close.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Melissa

It looks like our problems are the same.  The only way I can quit is through task manager.  I have found that unchecking the auto sync box in the sync preferences helps (because it stops it from trying to sync at all and I don’t try to manually sync, but at least I can use the program).

Greetings Melissa,

I will be creating a Technical Support case for your issue.  Please let me know if you don’t recieve a case creation email by responding to this forum post.

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com

Same issue here on both of my computers.  I just filed a case with Thomson-Reuters.  It looks like many users are having this issue.  I hope they can fix it soon.

I had similar problems with syncing my endnote web library in x7. I went back to x6 and things worked fine. It must be a bug in x7.

Best,

Jose Tello

I’ve got a case open with support as well – same issue.  I guess this is the misery loves comfort post.  While intermittent, it seems to always happen if I’ve added pdf attachments

have the same problem with you.

very confused…

I have a ticket in for the same reason.

I have the same problem.  It’s a pretty serious bug, not being able to sync the database without freezing the entire program and having to shut it down from the task manager.

I am having the same problem…

Kirk Shelley MD, PhD

Professor of Anesthesiology

Yale University

Same issue as well. 

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issues.

I have contacted tech support. I am still waiting for a solution.

I’ve had a researcher add a PDF, then have the whole library corrupt. We sent the file (with only 380 records and 45 PDFs) to Thomson Reuters, who were great about fixing the file.

But then it refused to sync back and in fact deleted all of the previously synced records.

Very very frustrating.

In the end we had to create a second EndNote Web account and sync via that.

Melinda Goodin

Swinburne University Library, Melbourne, Australia

I had been experiencing sync/quit error, whenever I quit it would try to sync which would take forever and ever. This happened after I upgraded from X6 to X7 on Windows 8 64, yesterday I had some time to play with that, and it is currently fixed. The steps were (I do not claim that this will work for everyone) (I do claim: MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR WINDOWS REGISTRY CAN LEAD TO VERY BAD CONSEQUENCES TO YOUR COMPUTER): - Backup all files: Libraries, PDFs and settings (specially those custom styles and connections, OpenURL for finding full text, OpenURL arguments); - Unistall EndNote X7; - Reboot (to be safe); - Open the registry and remove the relevant endnote/researchsoft entries, namely HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ISI ResearchSoft HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ISI ResearchSoft HKEY_USERS\S-{LONG NUMBER WITH DASHES HERE}\Software\ISI ResearchSoft - Reboot (to be safe); - Reinstall EndNote X7; - Start EndNote X7, create a New Library, configure EndNote and set the sync - Sync (maybe overnight). - Ta Da! All references with PDFs and groups are back. And the sync seems to work faster than it did in X6. By the way, using the above method I lost some of my organization of groups into group sets. I have all my group sets but many of them are empty. However, all my groups are there with all the correct papers. I hope this will not happen again after I reorganize the groups into group sets, I will test this (I have another PC running X6 which I intend to upgrade).

I had been experiencing sync/quit error, whenever I quit it would try to sync which would take forever and ever. This happened after I upgraded from X6 to X7 on Windows 8 64, yesterday I had some time to play with that, and it is currently fixed.

The steps were (I do not claim that this will work for everyone) (I do claim: MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR WINDOWS REGISTRY CAN LEAD TO VERY BAD CONSEQUENCES TO YOUR COMPUTER):

• Backup all files: Libraries, PDFs and settings (specially those custom styles and connections, OpenURL for finding full text, OpenURL arguments);
  • Unistall EndNote X7;
  • Reboot (to be safe);
  • Open the registry and remove the relevant endnote/researchsoft entries, namely
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ISI ResearchSoft
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ISI ResearchSoft
    HKEY_USERS\S-{LONG NUMBER WITH DASHES HERE}\Software\ISI ResearchSoft
  • Reboot (to be safe);
  • Reinstall EndNote X7;
  • Start EndNote X7, create a New Library, configure EndNote and set the sync
  • Sync (maybe overnight).
  • Ta Da! All references with PDFs and groups are back. And the sync seems to work faster than it did in X6.

By the way, using the above method I lost some of my organization of groups into group sets. I have all my group sets but many of them are empty. However, all my groups are there with all the correct papers. I hope this will not happen again after I reorganize the groups into group sets, I will test this (I have another PC running X6 which I intend to upgrade).