I recently upgraded from v9 to v20. There are a lot of fields in the Edit Panel that I don’t use. In v9 it was possible to delete, hide, or move these out of the way, to make it easier to enter a new reference manually. How can I do this?
To customise the display fields in EndNote 20:
- Go to ‘Edit’ > ‘Preferences’ > ‘Display Fields’.
- Each row corresponds to a field. To hide a field, set it to ‘Do not display’ in the dropdown menu.
- Click ‘OK’ to save changes.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for this help. What I was really trying to do is to cut out extraneous fields when I try to enter a new reference manually. There are fields like “Start Page”, “Errata”, and “Type of Article” that I just don’t use, ever, and if I could get rid of them I wouldn’t have to scroll down constantly to enter some fields, like “DOI” and “Keywords”, that I use all the time.
- Click ‘Edit’ > ‘Preferences’ to open Preferences.
- Select ‘Reference Types’ from the left panel.
- In the right pane, choose the reference type to modify from the drop-down menu (see pic).
- Click ‘Modify Reference Types’ on the right, prompting a new window (see pic).
- In this window, view All References Types fields’ (see pic). Here are potential fields for the selected reference type. The fields for manual new reference entry are named here.
- To remove a field, erase its text. For example, if ‘Pages’ isn’t needed, find and erase it. You’ll see it’s removed (see pic).
These improved instructions should ease your data entry. Need more help? Just ask.
Thanks for this. It worked fine. That’s what I did in previous editions, but from various comments online I got the impression that this was no longer functional, and when I first tried it it moved all my fields up: for example, what was in the DOI field now appeared in the DATE field! Fortunately, I backed up the library before trying this. Anyway, thanks.