How to edit the citation inside the text

I want to edit the citation inside the text forever, because when I do update citations my edit always gone .

For example, I want to write the citation without Brackets.

thank you in advance for any reply

You must edit it by right clicking in it and choosing edit citation.  Is it a one off time you want to remove the parentheses?  or always?  Which version of Endnote are you using?

i am using X4

X5 gives you the option of converting (Author, Year) to Author (Year) but not X4.  so, assuming that is what you meant, you need to do it manually in X4.  You should first drag the author information out of the parentheses (which won’t “stick” but will get you the text without having to retype it),  then right click in the citation, and choose, edit citation, and hide author.  (may have to go thru a More choice to see that, can’t remember in X4). 

there are other options there you can look at, including adding prefix or suffix text to get, for example  (see Author, Year for review) where  “see " would go into the prefix and " for reivew” would go in the suffix fields (with the spaces as indicated between the quotes, but with out the quotes themselves). 

If that doesn’t cover your needs, - expand on your requirements. 

i didn’t mean that i mean that for example i have (Haat, Mahenthiran, Rahman, & Hamid, 2006; Khas, 2002)

i want only to the bracket to be removed such as

Haat, Mahenthiran, Rahman, & Hamid, 2006; Khas, 2002

then you need to drag everything out of the parentheses, and hide both author and year.  – (or apply hidden text to the residual citation. - if this is a “once off”

• if you want to remove the parentheses from every citation, then you would edit the output style citation template and remove the parentheses there - “save as” to a new name, and then apply that newly named style to the manuscript via the edit bibliography tool (2003), or in the Endnote ribbon (2007, 2010).

very useful feedback

thank you very much

Dear Leanne

what do u mean to apply hidden text to the residual citation because whenever I hide the author and year it only hide one author where I have several 

for examples have

(Gunasekarage et al., 2007; Sun and Tong, 2003; Xu and Wang, 1999; Zhang et al., 2001; McConnell and Servaes, 1990; 1995; Morck et al.,1988)

when I highlight all and click on hide author and year it only hide one of them and the result will be

(Gunasekarage et al., 2007; Sun and Tong, 2003; Xu and Wang, 1999; Zhang et al., 2001; McConnell and Servaes, 1990; 1995)

thank u

You need to apply the hidden font trick to the whole of the citation, or hide each and every author and year in the citation group and type in the text that you want to appear. 

Can I ask exactly what you are trying to achieve and when (and why?). 

hahaha sorry for all these questions

when i want to say for example that several studyies used same measurment such as … so after that citation should be with no parentheses… right?

thank you

anyway, i colored the parentheses using white color so it wouldn’t appear and it works even after update . thanks

1 Like

That is a super solution!  So glad it worked.  I  was afraid a small change like that would be overwritten during the update of citations, but apparently not (I tested it too.)  !  Will add it to the suggested fixes for this kind of thing.Â