I need change the style of my citations?

Hello,

I need some help. I have to change the format of my citations and I am not sure how to do it.
I need have the two citation types:

Default: Author (Year)
Author1, Author2 and Author3 (2009)
Note: the authors separated by commas

Alternate: (AUTHOR, Year)
(AUTHOR1; AUTHOR2; AUTHOR3, 2009)
Note: the authors in uppercase and separated by semicolon

How could I do it?.

Thanks in advance.

Only one citation template can be used at the time, so you will need to create 2 output styles to accommodate the 2 formats you’ve described.  You don’t mention what output style you’re using, so the following instructions are based on APA 6th and further modification might be needed if you’re using a different output style.

Default: Author (Year)

Author1, Author2 and Author3 (2009)

Note: the authors separated by commas

1.   Go to the citations template section of your output style and change  the “Multiple citations separator” setting to use a

comma followed by a blank space (see image 1).

2.   Close the output style. Note that changes will be saved to a new output style which has the word “Copy” in the file

name or you can choose to rename the output style file. Change the settings in MS Word to use the new output style.

Alternate: (AUTHOR, Year) (AUTHOR1; AUTHOR2; AUTHOR3, 2009)

Note: the authors in uppercase and separated by semicolon

1. Go to the citations template section of your output style and change the “Multiple citations separator” setting to use a semicolon followed by a blank space (see image 2).
  2. Change the Author Name setting so capitalization is set to “All Uppercase”. Also change the “Consecutive Citations by the Same Author” separator to use a semicolon followed by a blank space (see image 3).
  3. Close the output style. Note that changes will be saved to a new output style which has the word “Copy” in the file name or you can choose to rename the output style file. Change the settings in MS Word to use the new output style.

Dear CrazyGecko,

Although it is necessary create 2 output styles to accommodate the 2 formats described. Exist a method to using the 2 output styles in a same Word document?

The output style I’m using is ABNT of Brazil.

Thanks very much.

It’s highly unusual that publishers would require 2 different citation/bibliography formats within the same document.  Endnote works with just one output style at the time within the same document. So if you tried switching from one output style to the other, all the in text citations/references will be updated to either output style (not both) in use at that time.

The only way to accomplish it, would be to turn cwyw off, and to manually change the temp citations for one type of citation to, say square brackets, and leave the other as curly brackets.  Then format with one, remove fields and then formating the other.   strip the field codes again, and combine the two refernce lists and sort the paragraphs. 

but I agree it is highly unusual - but from your example, it appears that they want the authors to be a part of the sentence structure.  – I suggest that for the cases where you have to use Author (Year) that you instead format the citation to Hide the authors and type them the way you want them to appear.  I expect that you will rarely use that form in your writing.  In fact I would avoid it, if at all possible, to avoid the problem.     

The only way to accomplish it, would be to turn cwyw off, and to manually change the temp citations for one type of citation to, say square brackets, and leave the other as curly brackets. Then format with one, remove fields and then formating the other. strip the field codes again, and combine the two refernce lists and sort the paragraphs.

but I agree it is highly unusual - but from your example, it appears that they want the authors to be a part of the sentence structure. – I suggest that for the cases where you have to use Author (Year) that you instead format the citation to Hide the authors and type them the way you want them to appear. I expect that you will rarely use that form in your writing. In fact I would avoid it, if at all possible, to avoid the problem.

The information provided here is very useful for me. I was searching solution for the same query. If I found the answer in this community while I was planning to order my paper from cheap essay writng service(essayservices.org). I am very thankful to you friends.