Importing references into Endnote library error

Hi all!
I work with Endnote 20 and when I try to import a ris file from Psychinfo into my library I got a very long error listing author names and articles (below a brief example :slight_smile: ). Can anyone help me solving the issue?

Thanks a lot

Giulia

17Alfonso, Cesar A.Alfonso, Cesar A., caa2105@cumc.columbia.edu Alfonso, Cesar A.: caa2105@cumc.columbia.eduCognitive components in human conflict and unconscious motivation (Arieti, 1977)Psychodynamic PsychiatryJournal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis, Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis & Dynamic PsychiatryPsychodynamic psychiatry256-257502*Cognition*Conflict*Motivation*Psychoanalysis2022USGuilford Publications US2162-2590Comments on the article, Cognitive Components in Human Conflict and Unconscious Motivation by Silvano Arieti (1977). The creative thinkers and innovators who were instrumental in expanding the

what does the .ris file look like in a text editor and what filter did you use to import it?

Dear Leanne,

thanks for your reply.
I just imported it as a ris file with no other filters as I did with other files.
The Ris file in textEdit looks as follows (just an excerpt of it):
I cannot publish more than two links in here

TY - JOUR
DB - APA PsycInfo <2022 to May Week 5 2023>
ID - 2022-39739-014
DO - Sexual Sadism Disorder and Coercive Paraphilic Disorder: A Scoping Review | The Journal of Sexual Medicine | Oxford Academic
T1 - Sexual sadism disorder and coercive paraphilic disorder: A scoping review.
A1 - Liu, Alissa
A1 - Zhang, Emma
A1 - Leroux, Elisabeth J
A1 - Benassi, Paul
A2 - Agalaryan, A, Rouleau, J-L, Arksey, H, O’Malley, L, Becker, JV, Stinson, J, Tromp, S, et al., Beech, AR, Miner, MH, Thornton, D, Doren, DM, Eher, R, Schilling, F, Hansmann, B, et al., First, MB, Frances, A., Frances, A., FrancesA., Frances, A, First, MB, Frances, A, Wollert, R, Goncalves, LC, Rossegger, A, Gerth, J, et al., Graham, N., Harris, GT, Rice, ME, Quinsey, VL, et al., Healey, J, Lussier, P, Beauregard, E, Holoyda, B., Keeley, JW, Briken, P, Evans, SC, et al., King, CM, Wylie, LE, Brank, EM, et al., Knight, R, Thornton, D, Knight, RA, Knight, RA, Sims-Knight, J, Guay, J-P, Krafft-EbingR, ChaddockCG, Krueger, RB, Krueger, RB, Kaplan, MS, Krueger, RB, Reed, GM, First, MB, et al., Lalumiere, M, Harris, G, Quinsey, V, et al., Levac, D, Colquhoun, H, O’Brien, KK, Levenson, JS, Levenson, JS, Morin, JW, Longpre, N, Guay, J-P, Knight, RA, Longpre, N, Guay, J-P, Knight, RA, et al., Longpre, N, Proulx, J, Brouillette-Alarie, S, Marshall, WL, Hucker, SJ, Marshall, WL, Hucker, SJ, Nitschke, J, et al., Marshall, WL, Kennedy, P, Yates, P, et al., Merrick, WA, Mokros, A, Schilling, F, Eher, R, et al., Mokros, A, Schilling, F, Weiss, K, et al., Mokros, A, Wessels, J, Hofmann, M, et al., Myers, WC, Beauregard, E, Menard, W, Nichols, HR, Molinder, I, Nitschke, J, Mokros, A, Osterheider, M, et al., Pflugradt, DM, Allen, BP, Proulx, J, Cote, G, Achille, PA, Quinsey, VL, Quinsey, VL, Reed, RA, Richards, H, Jackson, RL, Seto, MC, Lalumiere, ML, Harris, GT, et al., Stefanska, EB, Nitschke, J, Carter, AJ, et al., Stern, P., Testa, M, West, SG, Thornton, D., Wakefield, JC, Wakefield, JC, Winters, GM, Calkins, C, Greene-Colozzi, E, et al., Wollert, R., Wollert, R, Zander, T, Woodworth, M, Freimuth, T, Hutton, EL, et al., World Health Organization, Zinik, G, Padilla, J
Y1 - 2022//
N2 - Background: Valid and reliable diagnostic criteria are essential in forensic psychiatry and sexual medicine due to the severe implications of potential misdiagnoses. One challenge in this field is the poor operationalization of sexual sadism disorder (SSD) and coercive paraphilic disorder (CP+) definitions. Aim: The aim of this scoping literature review is to provide a comprehensive overview of the key conceptual differences between SSD and CP+, as well as consider pragmatic and clinically useful approaches to their diagnostic formulation. Methods: Arksey and O’Malley’s methodological framework was followed. A literature search of Medline, PsychInfo, Web of Science, and Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature electronic databases was conducted. Publications in English describing the construct and/or operational definition of SSD or CP+ were included. Full-text studies were reviewed by 2 authors and data was charted and synthesized qualitatively. Results: The initial search provided 1,271 records, after which 120 full-text papers were considered for eligibility and 48 studies were ultimately included. The most common sources of definitions for SSD and CP+ were the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (n = 53) and the International Classification of Disease (n = 12). There was more variation of terms used for CP+ than SSD. Both CP+ and SSD are critiqued by reviewed literature for having low validity, reliability, and consistency, as well as being conflated with sexual crime. SSD is better described due to having diagnostic criteria and validated diagnostic tools. Clinical Implications: Currently, clinicians rely mostly on the DSM to diagnose SSD or CP+. As applications of SSD and CP+ definitions vary, interpretations may not be generalizable between clinicians. Furthermore, specific diagnoses may be practically unhelpful and unreliable. It may therefore be beneficial for treatment to be determined by risk of harm. In addition to these concerns, the stigma associated with SSD and CP+ may also impact treatment. Strengths & Limitations: Strengths of this study include duplicate review and charting to increase methodological rigor, transparent reporting to minimize publication bias, and encompassing a comprehensive scope. Limitations include the weaknesses of low strength of reviewed literature and risk of publication bias. Conclusion: Despite their significant implications, the definitions of SSD and CP+ are inconsistent and lack reliability. Future research is necessary to develop stronger diagnostic criteria and tools. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2023 APA, all rights reserved)
KW - *Diagnosis
KW - *Paraphilias
KW - *Sadism
KW - *Sexual Sadism
KW - *Sexual Coercion
KW - Concepts
M3 - Psychological & Physical Disorders [3200]
JF - Journal of Sexual Medicine
VL - 19
IS - 3
SP - 496
EP - 506
CY - Netherlands
PB - Elsevier Science
PB - Netherlands
SN - 1743-6095
AD - Benassi, Paul, Unit 1, Fourth Floor, Room 455, 1001 Queen St. West, Toronto, ON, Canada, paul.benassi@camh.ca
AD - Benassi, Paul: paul.benassi@camh.ca
M1 - Agalaryan, A, & Rouleau, J-L. (2014). Paraphilic coercive disorder: an unresolved issue. Arch Sex Behav, 43, 1253-1256.

Thanks a lot,

BW

Giulia

I used a different way, since I don’t have access to APA psychinfo as I think you need a subscription. I guess a .ris isn’t an authorized file. in this forum

I used the journal website to download the ris file which contained the below, which doesn’t have that A2 field which is usual RIS format, would require one author per line just like the A1 stuff. I think it might be throwing Endnote for a loop? Are there numbers in the file (the pasted info starts with a line that says 1.)? I didn’t think ris files were numbered. When and how are you seeing this “error” message?

Provider: Silverchair
Database: Oxford University Press
Content: text/plain; charset=“UTF-8”

TY - JOUR
AU - Liu, Alissa
AU - Zhang, Emma
AU - Leroux, Elisabeth J.
AU - Benassi, Paul
T1 - Sexual Sadism Disorder and Coercive Paraphilic Disorder: A Scoping Review
PY - 2022
Y1 - 2022/03/01
DO - 10.1016/j.jsxm.2022.01.002
JO - The Journal of Sexual Medicine
JA - J Sex Med
VL - 19
IS - 3
SP - 496
EP - 506
SN - 1743-6095
AB - Valid and reliable diagnostic criteria are essential in forensic psychiatry and sexual medicine due to the severe implications of potential misdiagnoses. One challenge in this field is the poor operationalization of sexual sadism disorder (SSD) and coercive paraphilic disorder (CP+) definitions.The aim of this scoping literature review is to provide a comprehensive overview of the key conceptual differences between SSD and CP+, as well as consider pragmatic and clinically useful approaches to their diagnostic formulation.Arksey and O’Malley’s methodological framework was followed. A literature search of Medline, PsychInfo, Web of Science, and Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature electronic databases was conducted. Publications in English describing the construct and/or operational definition of SSD or CP+ were included. Full-text studies were reviewed by 2 authors and data was charted and synthesized qualitatively.The initial search provided 1,271 records, after which 120 full-text papers were considered for eligibility and 48 studies were ultimately included. The most common sources of definitions for SSD and CP+ were the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (n = 53) and the International Classification of Disease (n = 12). There was more variation of terms used for CP+ than SSD. Both CP+ and SSD are critiqued by reviewed literature for having low validity, reliability, and consistency, as well as being conflated with sexual crime. SSD is better described due to having diagnostic criteria and validated diagnostic tools.Currently, clinicians rely mostly on the DSM to diagnose SSD or CP+. As applications of SSD and CP+ definitions vary, interpretations may not be generalizable between clinicians. Furthermore, specific diagnoses may be practically unhelpful and unreliable. It may therefore be beneficial for treatment to be determined by risk of harm. In addition to these concerns, the stigma associated with SSD and CP+ may also impact treatment.Strengths of this study include duplicate review and charting to increase methodological rigor, transparent reporting to minimize publication bias, and encompassing a comprehensive scope. Limitations include the weaknesses of low strength of reviewed literature and risk of publication bias.Despite their significant implications, the definitions of SSD and CP+ are inconsistent and lack reliability. Future research is necessary to develop stronger diagnostic criteria and tools.
Y2 - 6/24/2023
UR - Sexual Sadism Disorder and Coercive Paraphilic Disorder: A Scoping Review | The Journal of Sexual Medicine | Oxford Academic
ER -

Dear Leanne,

yes all my RIS files (including the ones I managed to import with no issues) have a number before each article. The message comes up just after clicking “import” in Endnote. I checked the Ris file that I imported without problems and it also contains multiple authors in A1 and A2 fields.
Is there anything you would suggest me to try?

Thanks

Giulia

Is it not possible to use endnotes connect rather than exporting and importing a file from pychinfo? I rarely import but use the pubmed connect to retrieve articles from that database. I suspect there is a glitch and you may want to contact techsupport at clarivate and ask them to look at the ris file?

Dear Leanne,

I tried importing references as cgi file and this worked. However while when i import RIS files endnote automatically ask me to deduplicate them and I get a duplicate library as well as my main library, when it comes to cgi files this is not possible. If I then run the “find duplicate” tool in endnote i get way less duplicates than in the other way (we are talking of 6 versus 315). Do you have any idea as in where this discrepancy is coming from?

Thanks

Giulia

Ah yes, the duplication issue. I don’t know how many times we have asked the developers to address that! so I import into a new library and add then import that library into my main library. I call it temp. and after finished delete everything from it, so it is blank for the next import. And the settings for duplicate detection may be different for importing and for deduplication. I would have to check on that.