Inconsistent Output in Footnotes

Hi,

I’m on X5 with Word for Mac 2011. I started to create my own output style based on NZLSG. Regarding “Book” I have this output style for the footnotes:

Author,| Title| (|Edition ed,| Place Published,| Year|)| at Cited Pages|.

Now, for “Book - short form” I have this output style:

Author,| Title| Year, at Cited Pages.

As an example, Endnote creates this footnote when the reference is mentioned for the first time:

“Paul R. Krugman, Maurice Obstfeld and Marc J. Melitz, International Economics: Theory & Policy (9th ed, Boston et al., 2012) at 50.”

In the following footnotes in which the reference is used, it sometimes appears as:

“Krugman, Obstfeld and Melitz, 2012, at 138.”

And sometimes as:

“Krugman, Obstfeld and Melitz, International Economics: Theory & Policy 2012, at 138.”

It seems to be completely random as to in when the title is included when it is not. Also, for some references, the title doesn’t appear in any of the subsequent footnotes but with other references, it appears in all the subsequent footnotes (which is what I want, obviously). Any help would be highly appreciated!

Greetings,

I’d suggest opening your customized output style for editing.  Once the Edit Style window appears, click on the “Templates” tab that appears within the “Footnotes” section.  Do you have the “When using the short form, include the title field only when needed to disambiguate a citation” setting checked?  If so, I’d try unchecking this style setting.

Please let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com

Thanks, that solved the problem!