Inserting multiple citations in Word

Hi… I want to insert more than two references in ACS formatting style which uses references in numbered format. When I select more than one references in end note by selecting ctrl key and then insert in Word, it consolidates all references in one number but I need to insert, for example 5 references and it should be appeared as 1-5. Please assist me in this regard. Thanks

1 Like

This behaviour is controlled by the output style you are using.  You can either use an output style that is preset to generate individual numbers for each reference, or edit the output style you are using, to change this setting, and save as to a new name, and use that new style in the word manuscript on the Endnote ribbon (if Word 2007, 2010 or 2013) or in the format bibliography dialog (all other versions of Word).  ACS has the combine option selected, so you would (in endnote) Edit, Output styles> edit “ACS” and under the citation settings, chose Numbering, and untick the box as in the attachment.  

then save as to a new name - and go to your word document as described above - change to this new output style.  – you may need to “Select another Style” if the new file name is not in the list yet.  

Hi Jawad

You could try using the output style J Chemical Info Modeling – it is another ACS journal, and the EndNote output style separates the numbering as you want while keeping the references and numbering the same as the ACS style (e.g. includes the article title).

Other ACS journals with EndNote output styles, none of which consolidate references, are worth investigating if you need variants are:

Accounts Chemical Res (reference numbers are in parentheses)

Chemical Reviews (no article title; reference numbers are in parentheses)

J Organic Chem (no article title; reference numbers are in parentheses)

Nano Letters (no article title)

Organic Letters (similar to  J Chemical Info Modeling)

Cheers

John

Hi, it’s quite useful, it solves problem I also meet when using the Endnote, thanks a lot !

Hi, it’s quite useful, it solves problem I also meet when using the Endnote, thanks a lot !