Modifying name or a year in EndNote - no changes in the in-citation in word

Hello

I work with Vista Home Premium, SP 2. My Computer has 4 GB RAM.

Installed ist EndNote X3 with update to X.3.0.1 and Word 2007.

In Word, the CWYW ist installed and if I insert a reference from

EndNote to Word it works. Word shows the reference in the selected style and

build the bibliography at the end of the document.

BUT:

If I change the first Name of the author or the year in a EndNote Reference (and I save the change), the change in EndNote would not change in Word (in the in-citation). Even when I click the Button “update citations and bibliography”, the reference doesn’t change in Word.  Only when I change the Name from Müller to OMüller(a new first letter) the change of the name changes also in word.

The options “Enable Instant formatting”, “Scan für temporary citations” and “check for citation changes” is activated.

Thanks for help!

@nino6 wrote:

Hello

I work with Vista Home Premium, SP 2. My Computer has 4 GB RAM.

Installed ist EndNote X3 with update to X.3.0.1 and Word 2007.

In Word, the CWYW ist installed and if I insert a reference from

EndNote to Word it works. Word shows the reference in the selected style and

build the bibliography at the end of the document.

BUT:

If I change the first Name of the author or the year in a EndNote Reference (and I save the change), the change in EndNote would not change in Word (in the in-citation). Even when I click the Button “update citations and bibliography”, the reference doesn’t change in Word.  Only when I change the Name from Müller to OMüller(a new first letter) the change of the name changes also in word.

The options “Enable Instant formatting”, “Scan für temporary citations” and “check for citation changes” is activated.

Thanks for help!

I’m using Vista with X3 and Word 2007 and seem to be able to change a reference (e.g., author’s name) and found the corresponding in-text citation was correctly updated after clicking the “update citations” option in the Word toolbar.

The options (“Enable Instant formatting”, “Scan for temporary citations” and “check for citation changes”) are available through both EndNote and Word - have you checked to see the settings are consistent in both applications?

The options (“Enable Instant formatting”, “Scan for temporary citations” and “check for citation changes”) are available through both EndNote and Word - have you checked to see the settings are consistent in both applications? Yes I have.

Hi 

My problem still exists. I will try to explain my Problem with some printscreens in the attachement.

I am thankful for every tipp!

Thanks for checking the Word and EndNote settings and for the pic.

I assume you have both Word and Endnote open simultaneously as once a change is made to a reference, clicking on the “update citations” button in Word should automatically update the citation and reference in the MS Word doc. Unfortunately that doesn’t seemm to be happening for you. Have you tried unformatting then reformatting the document?  (Make a backup file copy before you do.)

The travelling library is useful when you are collaborating with another endnote/word user, and avoids the need for both to share the individual libraries, but these problems arise when you make changes to author or year, or delete the record and replace it with a new one, with a different record number. 

When Endnote looks for a match in an existing inserted “temporary citation” it matches Author, year and record number.  If any of these don’t match (as in your case) it uses the information in the “travelling library” embedded in the paper, rather than the open library.  To fix this, the easiest way, assuming you have all the references in a library, is to unformat and it reformat.  The old temporary citation will now trigger a dialogue and you can choose the correct new reference for insertion.  If you know it is just the one, you can delete it and reinsert it, but to catch them all unformating and reformating is the way to go. 

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-howto&message.id=1832

Message Edited by Leanne on 11-08-2009 08:01 AM