Need help in Chicago style

hello,
why I can’t see the numbers in citation text? I tried many ways, I need just to show the number in the text, and the notes and bibliography (full details in bottom of page).

please help me to find the way

thanks

We have information in our Knowledge Base on how to create footnotes using Word and EndNote:

You can use Word’s footnotes/endnotes feature to set the location to insert your citation. After typing in the text in your document where you wish to add a citation, you can now select to insert the footnote or endnote.

1. With Word 2007/2010/2013/2016/2019: Click on the References tab of the Word ribbon and select Insert Footnote or Insert EndNote.
    With Word 2003: Click the Insert menu and select Reference > Footnote. You can then pick the location of Footnotes or Endnotes.
    With Word 2004/2008/2011: Click the Insert menu and select Footnote. You can then pick the location of Footnotes or Endnotes.
  2. Use the Cite While You Write™ tools to insert a citation into the Word footnote or endnote.
  3. In order for the citation for format correctly, you need to select an appropriate style. Some of the styles installed with EndNote™ include a template specifically designed for footnotes. Examples of this include Chicago 16th A and Turabian Bibliography.
  4. With Word 2007/2010/2013/2016/2019: Click the EndNote tab in the ribbon and change the style. If your style is not listed in the drop down menu, click on Select Another Style. Select the appropriate style and click OK.
    With Word 2003/2004/2008/2011: Click the Tools menu > EndNote > Format Bibliography. If your style is not listed in the drop down menu, click Browse. Select the appropriate style and click Choose and OK.

In order to add additional citations, you would repeat the process above.

For more information, please see the KB article:

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Entering-Citations-into-Word-footnotesendnotes?language=en_US

It should be noted that, the actual number you’re looking for in the text will appear when you insert the footnote, or endnote, with Word. Once that Word generated number appears, you can use EndNote to insert the item into that footnote section.
It’s Word that’s generating the numbers you’re looking for.

1 Like

So, to be clear - “Cite While You Write” doesn’t include “adding the numbers”? We insert the numbers manually and then use CWYW to put in the info?

for footnotes, you use word to insert the footnote (which automatically insert the next consecutive number) – for CWYW when inserting intext citation numbers, endnote performs this function automatically. It is a difference between the way endnote and word interact between footnotes and when the output style uses “in-text” citations.

Is that more clear?