I believe there is a serious problem in the latest x4.0.2 Windows release. I attempted to install it as directed to replace my current x4.0.1 version, and it hung up on initially opening my library database on “updating pdf index.” I have had several exchanges with Thomson Technical Support. They took my library database file and claimed to have opened it successfully but on return, the same problem developed when I tried to open it on my local machine. They then converted it to an RIS text file and had me import that into a new library, but it could not open because the same “updating pdf index” problem. I appreciate their efforts but they have not solved the problem.
IMHO, there is a real flaw in the 4.0.2 release that needs to be addressed, and anyone should be very wary of upgrading. My Endnote library database is very stable and longstanding. I have used EndNote for over 15 years on a daily basis, and I have purchased and installed (several licenses of) every version, update, and patch from the original version 2 through x4.0.1. I have built and maintain a large library data base of 28,000 records with an extensive pdf attachment library of 12,000 files (absolute not relative links), and I have never had a single problem with any upgrade on a succession of machines and OS (presently an Acer Timeline X with Intel Core i7 and 4 GB RM, with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit). This is a first, and it is unnerving. It is also frustrating that Thomson will not respond to my request for a link to the x4.0.1 so I can go back to that version and be able to use the libraary database.
I know there is another thread in this Forum about a similar problem of “updating pdf index” but that refers to an attempted upgrade from x 3 to x4. It is true that removing the rdb subfolder, as someone recommends, will force a new rdb folder of MySQL and other files to be created and the library will open but with loss of all term lists, groups, and smart groups, which is a very significant loss for a longstanding library.