"Please unprotect this document."

Anyone else getting this error message if they try to insert a citation from endnote’s insert citation arrow on the toolbar?  It goes on to say “Cite While your Write cannont write to areas protected by this document.”  

The document is new, has no protections and has no trouble when I copy a citation from endnote (ctrl+C)  and insert it with control V or use the alt+2 command.  

Closing and reopening endnote and word did not repair, but a full reboot of the machine repaired this feature (with the same document).  Just reporting the error at this point and suggesting a reboot if you encounter it.  

The posting below is quite old but I am getting the same error today.  I am using Endnote X7.  What can I dO ?

If I copy with control c and paste with control v it works

Regardsmaria

@leanne wrote:

Anyone else getting this error message if they try to insert a citation from endnote’s insert citation arrow on the toolbar?  It goes on to say “Cite While your Write cannont write to areas protected by this document.”  

The document is new, has no protections and has no trouble when I copy a citation from endnote (ctrl+C)  and insert it with control V or use the alt+2 command.  

Closing and reopening endnote and word did not repair, but a full reboot of the machine repaired this feature (with the same document).  Just reporting the error at this point and suggesting a reboot if you encounter it.  

So did you reboot, which is what fixed it for me?  Never happened again.  

Upgraded to EndNote 9x and now have this same issue.  Nothing else changed.  New and old documents stating I need to “unprotect” document.  I have never protected a document!

I tried rebooting, restarting, quitting/closing and various permutations and nothing has worked.

Endnote is essentially useless right now.

Help!

Sara