Problem caused by additional drive?

Hi Guys.

Had this problem in X5 - an upgrade to X6 did nothing.

My problem is if I click the green icon (to open the attached file) when selected a reference it errors. It gives the full path of the pdf, I can navigate to it and open it in adobe, but that’s kind of missing the point.

Endnote says it can not launch it.

This has only occurred since I rebuilt my machine which involved fitting a new SSD so it can boot faster. I have Windows, Office, SPSS and Endnote on it. The rest of my applications have been demoted to my old hard drive - including my Desktop, Documents etc.

I have uninstalled everything involved, and put it back on C: drive - adobe reader then Endnote. Tried creating a library in C:\users\ben\my documents but it does the same thing.

I own a laptop with just one harddrive and the same version works fine on that.

Help?

1 Like

Greetings,

As a test, I would like you to create a new file attachment link in any EndNote library on your machine.  It doesn’t matter which PDF file you link, or which record you create the link within.  Immediately after creating a new file attachment link, try double-clicking on the file attachment icon to see if this new link fails to launch as well. 

If you find that this new attachment fails to launch, try installing the following PDF viewer-

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

*  Look for the ‘Foxit Reader’ download link *

Once you’ve installed Foxit Reader, test several file attachment links within EndNote to see if they are now launching properly.  Please let me know what you find. 

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com

Already trieed. Doesn’t work.

It works with Foxit. I  have to use Adobe for my uni though.

It would seem Endnote it not calling Adobe Reader properly. I can navigate to the pdf and open it fine.

This issue is related to how Adobe is creating filetype associations.  If using Foxit Reader is not an option, here is an Adobe workaround discovered by one of my colleagues:

This is an issue that can happen with the different Adobe PDF viewing programs.  When you tell EndNote to open a PDF, EndNote tells Windows to open the PDF.  Something about the way the Adobe programs register with Windows how to open the PDF will cause the error.

Currently the only resolution we have besides using a different PDF viewing program, is to create a Windows Batch file to open PDFs using the PDF software of your choice.  While this may seem redundant, it seems to be the only way to have the PDFs open consistently with the Adobe programs. 

1. Open My Computer and go to the folder where you PDF viewing software was installed.  The goal here to find the exact path and name of the PDF viewing program.  These are the default installation locations for Acrobat Reader 7 and 8:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

1. Go to “Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad”.  You would need a line like the following:

start “” “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe” %1

You would need to replace the “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe” with the path to the PDF viewing program you want to use.  Note that this must be in quotes, there is an empty set of quotes between start and the path, and that the line ends with %1

1. Go to “File > Save As” and set the “Save as type” to “All files”.  Browse to your My Documents folder and save the file the name “PDF_Wrapper.bat”

2. Open a My Computer Window and go to “Tools > Folder Options”.  Click on “File Types” and select the “PDF” extension.

3. Click on the “Change” button and then click on “Browse”.  Browse to your My Documents folder, select the file “PDF_Wrapper.bat” click Open and then click OK.  Click Close to close the window.

Browse to a PDF on your computer and double click it to verify that you can still open a PDF.  Then open EndNote and try opening a PDF.  Note that your PDF viewing software may inform you that it is not the default viewer, you would not want to have it be the default viewer.  This may also change the icon that was used for your PDF files.

Please let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

I have already been given that ‘botch’ - it is not good enough. I have paid for X2 -> X6. If this is known problem why haven’t Endnote developers written a real work around?

Sorry to hear this workaround is not suitable for you.  A senior director within our Development department has made multiple attempts to bring this issue up to Adobe, but so far, they have not chosen to address the problematic behavior.  I’ll be sure to add your submission to our development database, but any changes in functionality would be dependent on Adobe’s willingness to work with our developers.  Have you submitted your experience to Adobe Technical Support to let them know how your workflow is being negatively impacted?  Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue.

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

They say the problem is the way Endnote calls Adobe Reader,

I just uninstalled Adobe Reader and Endnote.

Rebooted.

Installed an old version of Adobe - v9, then Endnote X6.

Rebooted.

Got same error. Which shows it is a fault in Endnote, not Adobe.

The error is attached -  notee ‘launch’

error.jpg
AR9.jpg