Problem with 'cite while you write'

Hi there

Recently my Endnote/Word has strated playing up - everytime I insert a reference it only includes the first author and then the year followed by # and a number, for example:

(Brown, 2009 #45) instead of (Brown and Jones, 2009).

It also does not add the reference to the end of the document and it does not even appear to recognise the inserted reference as such (it no longer highlights the reference when I click on it).  I believe the ‘# number’ refers to the number of the reference in EndNote but I’m really confused as to why this has suddenly happened.  It happens in every document and in every style even when I’ve changed the Output styles to display the information I want.  I’m using Endnote X4 and Word 2007.

Apologies if the answer is really obvious but I’ve exhausted all the online help and haven’t found anything that reflects this problem.

Thank you in advance!

It sounds like your Instant Formatting setting has been turned off.  In the MS Word ribbon (see image), select the EndNote X4 tab.  Within the “Bibliography” part locate and click on the tiny arrow in the bottom right corner. This will then display the Format Bibliography window.  Click on the Instant Formatting tab and click the “Turn On” button, then click OK to close the Format Bibliography window. 

1 Like

Thanks - that really helped!

I am having similar issues with cite while you write. I am not sure how picky the insertion of citations is in the library because when I choose to cite something from the Library, sometimes it does it correctly, sometimes in adds the first initial before the last name, sometimes it does the full name, etc. The weird part is it does it all correctly on the reference page but no within text.

Is it a Library formatting problem or do I need to change preferences somehow?

Thank you for whatever help you can give!

I am having similar issues with cite while you write. I am not sure how picky the insertion of citations is in the library because when I choose to cite something from the Library, sometimes it does it correctly, sometimes in adds the first initial before the last name, sometimes it does the full name, etc. The weird part is it does it all correctly on the reference page but no within text.

Is it a Library formatting problem or do I need to change preferences somehow?

Thank you for whatever help you can give!

Assuming this is only happening for some and not all the citations, the “picky” part is how they are entered into your library.  If the names are not exactly the same in the two records, Endnote assumes they are two different authors with similar hames and tries to distinguish them.  This is a setting that should be honored in most styles, but it can be turned off.  The more correct fix is to copy and paste the author info replacing it in each of the other records.