Quickly editting a field in all 300+ records

I need to edit the Label field in all 300+ records in my library. What is the most efficient way to do this? It seems that if I need to open each record, scroll down to the Label field, and then enter the information that this will take a long time. I’m wondering if there is a better way.

Also, is there a way to change the order of the fields that display in each record? I can’t find a way to change them.

Using EndNote X1

Are you trying to add the same information into all the Label fields? If you are you can use the ‘Change and Move Fields’ function under Tools. Highlight all your records, change the drop-down to ‘Label’ and add the text. But this won’t work if you are adding different information into each record.

You can change the order of the fields display by going to Edit -> Preferences and highlight ‘Display Fields’ on the left. Then you can move them around.

Regards,

Cathy

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, I am needing to put different information into the Label field of each record.

On the changing of the order of the displayed fields, I believe your suggestion is limited to the Library Display window and does not work for the display window for each record. I can’t see a way to edit the field order in the record display.

Ideally, I would love to make my changes to the Label field in the Library Display window since I could quickly move down all the records. I don’t believe I can edit from that window and, instead, have to open each record.

In sum, I am still seeking advice to my original message above. Not sure whether it’s doable.

One trick is to fill the label field with something like “replace” in those 300 records, then hide empty fields.  Then when you open the first one, you can edit the field and use the arrow key at the top, to move to the next record, and the label field should still be in the view, if you have a largish screen.  It is my understanding that there is no way to change the order of the fields in the record view, due to database structure issues.