section break instead of author's name

When I want to insert a citation with “author and year” it inserts a section break (or page break, I’m not sure) and the year instead the name and the year.

This problems appears with every author and only at one site in the document, in the rest of the document everything works fine.

What’s the cause of this and how can I change it?

Thanks for your help!

I forgot to write:

I’m using Endnote X7 and Word 2010.

The problem occurs when “insert citation -> insert and display as: Author (Year)”

I don’t know if that’s important for this problem.

What does the citation look like when you “convert to unformatted citations”.  

Desktop or web version.  If web version, it isn’t the 150th citation, is it?  

I’m not at work right now so I can’t look up the unformatted version, thanks for the hint.

If the unformatted version is messed up, will it be recognizable what exactly is messed up?

It’s the desktop version of Endnote.

Don’t know – but it should look like this {Author, YEAR #RecNo@@Author-year} or with data {Smith, 2000 #123@@author-year}  I think.  uninterupted?  

I looked it up and it doesn’t look different from the other citations in the file (which work).

Then I am not sure.  Do you want to PM me (or you could contact Tech Support) and share a drop-box copy of the document, and I could look at it?  It doesn’t matter if it is another citation?  any citation in that spote as Author (YEAR) has the glitch?  (I think that is what you said).  

@eli wrote:

When I want to insert a citation with “author and year” it inserts a section break (or page break, I’m not sure) and the year instead thee and the year.

This problems appears with every author and only at one site in the document, in the rest of the document everything works fine.

Have you  checked for any errant  MS Word  section break  or other formatting codes  in that problematic section of your document  by using the “Show/ Hide”  feature (see attached image )?  If you find any unnecessary  section break(s)  or other codes in that problematic section of your document, delete  them.
MS word_reveal section breaks.gif

1 Like

Thank you both for the answers!

The admistrator reinstalled and updated Endnote yesterday and today the glitch is gone. I don’t know what exactly caused this but I hope the error doesn’t occur again.

But anyways thank you both so much for trying to help me! 

now where is the “like button”!

:smiley: