Smith, John vs. White House, The

Hi,

I’ve got a problem concerning the automatic switch of an author’s first and last name. It’s useful that Endnote converts “John Smith” to “Smith, John” in the Reference list. The problem begins when the Author is e.g. named “Stephen van Evera”, then endote writes “Evera, Stephen van” instead of “van Evera, Stephen”. That can be worked around by typing vanEvera without a space. The real Problem is, when you have references like NEwspapers or official departments, like e.g. “The Washintgton Post” or “The White House”, where Endnote would name them “Washintgton Post, The” and “White House, The”.Is there a way to add exceptions to a certain entry?

Thanks a lot for help.

Markus

Perennial question and the answer is: put a comma at the end.

Sorry missed the other part.-- 

Stephen van Evera, you need to enter it as “van Evera, Stephen” - it is the only way Endnote can figure out what is the surname and what is a first and middle name.  - and if you want van to not be used in the alphabetization, you need to add that to the preferences - sorting (don’t use to sort).  It is always best to enter author names as surname, first name or initials.  Initials need to be separated by a space, or they will be truncated as if they were a first name, when the style requires initials.

Message Edited by Leanne on 09-14-2008 01:49 PM

Sorry missed the other part.-- 

Stephen van Evera, you need to enter it as “van Evera, Stephen” - it is the only way Endnote can figure out what is the surname and what is a first and middle name.  - and if you want van to not be used in the alphabetization, you need to add that to the preferences - sorting (don’t use to sort).  It is always best to enter author names as surname, first name or initials.  Initials need to be separated by a space, or they will be truncated as if they were a first name, when the style requires initials.

Thanks for the comment! :smiley: It wworks!

But this doesn’t help with other authors such as offical departments. I don’t want the “Department of State” appear as “State, Department of”  How can I solve this problem??

Thanks

Markus

Department of State (comma)