SURNAME SMALL CAPS, first name lower case? and a line break after the name?

All advice gratefully received !!!

SURNAME SMALL CAPS, first name lower case

eg

SMITH, Jim

I’ve tried to modify Chicago 16 to suit a journal I am writing for (BEFEO) but it does not seem to give this option.

The journal also wants a bibliography like this:

SMITH, Jim

2010  First paper

2011  Second paper

THOMPSON, Bill

2009   A book

WATERS, Muddy

2006 A book

2008 A journal article

Any thoughts?

Unfortunately since the author name is not parsed as two separate fields (i.e., first name, surname), the author’s surname will need to be manually changed to all-caps.  **Edited addendum: Instead of capitalizing the author surname in the Author field, it seems renaming a custom field (e.g., “Author2”) to maintain capitalized surnames might be a better method as the field could be used just when “special projects” like this arise.  When the capitalized surname isn’t needed, then the output style template would just incorporate the regular Author field.

A bibliography can be generated to closely replicate the bibliography example but each author will be listed as a separate entry which will need to be manually deleted from the final document.  The steps would be:

1.  Modify the bibliography templates in the Chicago output style for the affected reference templates (e.g. Book, Journal Article) by deleting the current fields then entering the following: Author [then hit the return key to go to the second line, then insert a tab] Year [then add some blank spaces] Reference Type.  Enter the same format for the remaining templates (e.g., Book Section, Journal Article, etc.).

2.    Now it’s a matter of using EndNote’s “Subject Bibliography” function to generate the bibliography [Go to the toolbar, locate TOOLS, then select “Subject Bibliography”. 

The resulting bibliography will list each author but it’s just a matter of deleting the extra listings.

To clarify my prior posting, here’s a more detailed response which now uses MS Word instead of EndNote’s “Subject Bibliography” tool.

MODIFY THE REFERENCE TYPE AND OUTPUT STYLE TEMPLATES (refer to Image 1)

1. Add the custom field in each Reference Type template.  This example shows modifying the Journal Article template by adding a custom field named: SurnameCAP.

2. Modify the output style’s bibliography templates to include the fields: SurnameCAP, Year, and Reference Type. Note that a hard return is entered after SurnameCAP (to start a new line), then a tabbed space is added at which point the last two fields (Year, Reference Type) are added to the template.

3. In the output style’s bibliography “Layout” option, enter a return in the “End each reference with” field. 

ENTER AUTHOR’S NAME IN THE ENDNOTE REFERENCE AND GENERATE THE BIBLIOGRAPHY IN MS WORD (refer to Image 2).

1. Open the EndNote reference and locate the “SurnameCAP” field.  (Enter the author’s name by capitalizing the Surname).  [Note: there doesn’t appear to be an option for applying a small caps font to an open reference but you can test whether formatting the author’s name in MS Word then copying it back into the EndNote field might work.] Close the reference to save the information which is shown in the library’s preview window.

2. Generate the bibliography in MS Word and convert the list to a text file to remove the EndNote codes. Then delete duplicate author names and use Word’s Find and Replace function to adjust the wording (e.g., change “Journal Article” to “A journal article”).

I’m attaching the modified Chicago output style for your reference.

BEFEO_modChicago16A.ens (75 KB)

CrazyGecko

Thank you for going to all that trouble. it looks like I have hours of fun ahead of me :slight_smile:

Bob_H