the little toolbar dohickey for Word, and page numbers, oh and, crashing

Using the most recent/current  version of everything.

Somehow I closed the little toolbar that allows direct access to an EndNote library, so now I have to go through Word’s Tools menu, and let me say: I am not enjoying all the extra steps. But I can’t figure out how to get the dohickey back again. Can somebody please save my sanity?

I fear there is no solution for this,  but I find it irritating that I go into EndNote, select a reference, embed it, and then have to go back and edit the citation to put in the page numbers. Isn’t there some way to skip that additional middle step? Put the page numbers in up front, after I’ve chosen the reference? And if not, why not?

Finally, a bug that is probably well known: If I try to put a citation into a footnote, Word crashes. I can create the text and the footnote in the body of the paper and paste it into a footnote, but I can’t create or edit a citation already in a footnote.

Any help, suggestions, advice much appreciated.

@greenery wrote:

Somehow I closed the little toolbar that allows direct access to an EndNote library, so now I have to go through Word’s Tools menu, and let me say: I am not enjoying all the extra steps. But I can’t figure out how to get the dohickey back again. Can somebody please save my sanity?

Try lookinghere?  Does it help?

I fear there is no solution for this,  but I find it irritating that I go into EndNote, select a reference, embed it, and then have to go back and edit the citation to put in the page numbers. Isn’t there some way to skip that additional middle step? Put the page numbers in up front, after I’ve chosen the reference? And if not, why not?

I am not clear why you want the page numbers in a citation, unless you are quoting a specific (cited page) which will vary from citation to citation?  since it would vary, it would need to be introduced independently for each citation.  At least that is how citations work for the sciences.  Otherwise page numbers are usually only found in the reference list. 

--------------------------------------------------------- 

Finally, a bug that is probably well known: If I try to put a citation into a footnote, Word crashes. I can create the text and the footnote in the body of the paper and paste it into a footnote, but I can’t create or edit a citation already in a footnote.

Haven’t seen this bug, so can’t comment.  What version of Word are you using (which will tell us which operating system)?  

Thank you for your quick response.

1. The toolbar: Found it. Thanks.

2. Citations. I write mostly academic stuff for publications that require the page citation ala:

The Mad Hatter wore a vintage 1934 Chanel slouch tipped over his bulging right eye (Smith 2004: 13-14; Madden 1999: 44).

Very rarely do I use just author and year in a citation. So you see, it would be a great boost if I didn’t have to automatically edit every citation to put in page numbers. I gather from your answer that this is not possible.

1. Sorry, that was an oversight. MacBookPro, OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.3, EndNote X3, build 5276.

No, if you are sure that is what you want, and If you always use the exact same page for a specific citation, then you could customize your reference type to include a field for the specific pages (created from one of the custom fields as cited-pages, for example), and edit the output style citation template to include the appropriate punctuation and field name. 
:

In fact, even if you put a couple of the same reference in your library with different “cited pages” and cite more than one of them in the text,  I believe they will be resolved into one listing in the reference list, assuming the duplicate settings work properly.