Working with Apple Pages

Jason, thanks for being so helpful to us Pages users.

Your suggestion to restart, then cycle through Edit/EndNote/BibFormat works for an updated style, but doesn’t seem to work for updated bibliographic records. Somehow, there must be a way to force EndNote-in-Pages to return to the EndNote library and refresh the bibliographic information. This could be done via some equivalent to “unformat citations”, then rebuilding them, or by some other means to force a reload from the library.

Without that, the only way to get corrections into the final document is to reinsert each and every reference. No. Won’t go there :slight_smile:

Any suggestions that are a bit more “invasive” than the Edit/EndNote/BibFormat refresh?

Thanks!

Any updates on whether import / export between Pages and Word will work with EN X3?  Or are we stuck all using Word if anyone in the collaboration group is using Word?  (Bleah…)

I’ve been working with the trial version of X3 (in Leopard, fortunately, given what I’ve been reading elsewhere on the forums). There appears to be no functionality change from X2. Perhaps some bugs were fixed, but there seems to be no perceivable difference in how Endote interacts with Pages. There’s no way to refresh a reference if the bibliographic information changes, and there seems to be no way to interact with Word users.

I’d be delighted to be shown to be mistaken in this.

As we have mentioned many times, these are not changes that any version of EndNote alone can control. We have provided tools for Apple to make these improvements to the EndNote-Pages integration. Suggestions for making these changes priorities need to be sent directly to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/pages.html

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Hello,

I’m new to this, so apologies if the solution is blindingly obvious. I’ve already posted this message in the Styles section  - I wasn’t aware there is a dedicated thread for Pages integration.

I’m running Endnote X3 on my Mac (running Snow Leopard). I’m using Pages '09. Everything is the latest version.

I want footnotes using the Chicago 15 style - I have set endnote to use Chicago 15th A as one of my favourites; I have set Pages to use that style in the Edit  dropdown. However, when I insert a citation using Insert - Endnote Citation and select the source, all it does is show a space in the document. There is no footnote. It does, however add the reference to the bibliography. If I change the style to an inline style, the reference appears as it should.

This hugely frustrating to me, as I want to use Endnote to speed things up, not slow down. Any help would be hugely appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

dave roberts 

I’ve never used Pages, but Donna Kirking has made a good short tutorial on it, which you can view from the X3 tutorials page on the EndNote website.

It shows you how to use footnote styles in Pages. It explains that you first have to use Insert>Footnote to create the footnote. Then use Insert>EndNote Citation to insert the reference in the footnote.

Thanks for that - I’ve downloaded the tutorials but haven’t gotten through them all yet. I’ll look more tomorrow.

Jason,

I’m sure you have mentioned this many times, in many threads. Unfortunately it is always a surprising, extraordinarily significant limitation for new users to discover.

It has been over a year since X2 was released, and proper EndNote-Pages integration is still vapour. As a result many of your customers find themselves unwilling or unable to switch to Pages (and hesitant to upgrade to X3 or beyond). Blame that on Apple if you’d like, or snarl at your customers for asking dumb questions. But until you guys get your act together and figure out a way to gain Apple’s commitment to work with you on this, the bottom line is that your customers will continue to be frustrated and unhappy.

(Apologies if that sounds harsh, but it is the simple reality and I am getting tired of waiting.)

2 Likes

I second that. And even though I might be digressing from this thread: an implementation of EndNote in Mellel would be fantastic. Redlex’s product is superior to Pages (let alone Mac Word) in many ways. I am sure you are aware of this. But anyway. The pure “scan rtf” is not really that great. It messes up formatting. And that’s a deal breaker. I am talking about a true implementation as it exists in Mellel with Sente and Bookends.

Agreed.  I am working on my dissertation, which, by its nature, is going to have to go back and forth to multiple readers, some of whom do not own Macs, and is going to have to be *editable*, which includes being able to edit the references.  No one in the real world writes a first draft and doesn’t edit it.  All of this functionality works fine in Word, with the version of X1 that I already spent perfectly good starving-student money on.  It’s slow and clunky and buggy, but it does what I need it to do.

Word slows my system to a crawl, so I prefer to work in Pages.  We have been hearing lots and lots of hype about how great X3 will be and how it will work with Pages just like it works with Word, with CWYW and dynamic links to the EN database.  The student upgrade price is high enough to feel like I’m being asked to buy a whole new product, as if I weren’t already a loyal user who just bought a product a year ago.

I’ve been a software user for, no kidding, almost thirty years.  So perhaps you’d think I was used to this runaround, the endless cycle of promises unkept and blame shifted.  And I am.  If I weren’t trying to finish this dissertation in time to graduate in the spring, I would just sigh and say, "Oh, look, yet another company that cheaped out on the whole architecture process and didn’t think about the needs of the end users and didn’t set up the needed collaboration with other companies to ensure that integration would work, and keeps telling what it thinks is a captive audience that it’s our fault for wanting something that was advertised and that the company has been successfully able to develop for another platform. 

Yes, I’ve already made the requested feedback to Apple.  But that isn’t my job.  I’m your customer.  And right now, I’m looking at a product that does not have the functionality I need, despite having been enthusiastically advertised as such.  I don’t care whose fault that is. If you want my business, you’ll make it work.

2 Likes

I start to consider to switch to Windows 7 to have properly working software available. OS X software has been frustrating lately.

Have you tried OpenOffice.org Writer? It seems Ooo Writer 3.1 in my Vista ultimate 64 working just fine with EN X3.0.1. Ooo Writer can open/edit MS Word document, and it is free. Well, nothing is free, but I believe it provides a good alternative to thesis writing students with limited budget.

Dear Thompson Reuters / Endnote staff and management:

It’s important to realize that the discussion here isn’t about peripheral, minor features of the software. As currently delivered, Endnote with Pages doesn’t achieve the basic goals that a reference management system integrated with a word processor will achieve.

When I fix an error in a reference in the Endnote library, I expect to see that correction in my paper. If that isn’t happening, there’s no point in using a reference database – why not just copy & paste references into my bibliography? 

We’ve been promoting Endnote for use within our professional community because it already had some traction. We curate bibliographic information for a research community, and have been packaging that up and distributing it as Endnote libraries. I’m now strongly considering recommending that we drop any use of Endnote at all. Because T-R/Endnote has made no response to the glaring holes in this product over the last year or so, I’m now considering Endnote to be a dead product. And no, telling us to ask Apple to fix the problems is not a useful response.

Make a substantive response to the issues raised in this discussion thread, or you will lose business and gain a vocal group of active critics.

If there is a management level at Thompson Reuters / Endnote to whom these messages should go to, please feel free to share my sentiments up the chain.

-Dean Pentcheff (pentcheff@gmail.com)

1 Like

The EndNote team certainly agrees that the Pages integration could be improved. We are doing our best to work with Apple on this. The reason we suggest that all of you contact them is because we know that this is the most reliable way for Apple to prioritize EndNote-Pages integration enhancements - by hearing directly from users and customers.

Feel free to send further comments on the EndNote-Pages integration to me directly.

Jason E. Rollins, PhD

Director, Product Development

Research Software

Thomson  Reuters

1500 Spring Garden Street

Philadelphia, PA 19130 USA

+1 215 823 1721

jason.rollins@thomsonreuters.com

Ell the between the lines information is pointing at Apple as being responsible for this. So what is the obvious choice? Switch to Office 2007 and everything will be just fine. 

I didn’t purchase Endnote from Apple, but from Thomson-Reuters. It’s up to Thomson-Reuters to deliver on their promises.

Since version X2, T-R’s advertising has consistently represented the product as supporting CWYW in Pages, right alongside MS-Word, implying equivalent integration. Researcher collaboration has also figured prominently in the ads. E.g., see http://www.endnote.com/enX3info.asp. Unfortunately, as customers learn all too quickly after installing, the product does not properly support integration or collaboration in Pages as advertised. Personally I feel that I have been misled, because I would not have updated to X2 (a year ago) but for the heavily advertised Pages integration.

T-R’s solution so far has been to recommend cumbersome (unworkable) procedures, invite its customers to complain to Apple, and more recently to snap at customers when they ask about this critical functionality. I can understand that the fix may be impossible to provide unless Apple opens up … I think we all get that. In the meantime, Thomson-Reuters, with all due respect, you really should stop advertising Pages integration and collaboration. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be surprised if some frustrated customers did not start contacting the FTC to lay claims of false advertising against your firm. Misrepresenting a product, even if unintentional, is against the law in the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising).

1 Like

I am having the same problem as was mentioned earlier in this post but not resolved.  I am using Endnote X3 with Pages '09 on my MAC OS X 10.5.8 (all up-to-date).

When I insert an in-text citation (APA 6 formatting) I just get a space in my document.  The reference is added to my bibliography but not in-text.  What is wrong?  How can I fix this?

-Nathalie 

Dear All,

Recently we bought EndNote X4 for both Windows and Mac OS and I’m having troubles on a brand new iMac, where after the install of EndNote X4 the menu options in Pages '09 (Insert->EndNote Citation, …) just don’t appear. 

I have tried removing both Pages '09 and EndNote X4 but nothing seems to help. As suggested in your Knowledge base I also tried the EndNote->Customizer option route but to no avail.

What could be wrong? Pages '09 was bought from the Mac AppStore and is working “as advertised” on another computer (Apple Macbook).

Best,

zee

If you obtain Pages through the Mac App store, it will not install the plug-in automatically. You can download it from here - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1334 and then place it in the HD:Library->Application Support->ResearchSoft->EndNote Plugin folder. 

You mention that another machine has it working fine. Was the source for Pages on the other Mac the App store or somewhere else? The installer through other means will install it automatically.

- Mathilda, the EndNote team

I am currently using EndNote X4 with both Word 2011 and Pages`09. Endnote works well in Word 2011, but I cannot find a way to get the toolbar to show in Pages´09. I downloaded the plg-in, but there is no ResearchSoft in Application Support? Any idea what I can do about this problem?