X4, Word 2010 and large Word-file

One of my co-workers has a large Word-file (137 pages, 3,68 MB) that causes us problems.

We are converting from Reference Manager to EndNote X4 and have been converting Word-documents using the instructions on this page: http://www.endnote.com/support/Faqs/Import/faq4.asp#depth . When we open this document in Word and click on “Update Citations and Bibliography” both EndNote X4 and Word 2010 freezes and later crashes. After a few tries it finally worked after waiting for a long time. But it takes ages (or crashes) when we try to add new citations or change style. We tried to delete about half the document to see if size was the problem and it worked better, but still took a long time. When we reduced it to just 15 pages it worked fine. 

How do we fix this? Is there a limit on files size that we weren’t aware of? I mean, the file is not THAT large, I have co-workers who write large reports and books. It worked in Reference Manager.

All the other files we have converted works great, it’s just the one that’s problematic. 

Having the same problem. Merged several chapters and now word crashes whenever I try to format citations or takes a very long time. My file is no more than 400 KB and it’s a new computer that’s fairly fast. 

Solvi-

To begin troubleshooting this issue, I would start by turning off the EndNote X4 feature that makes clickable links between in-text citations and the bibliography within this problematic document .  To do this, in Word, choose the EndNote X4 tab.  At the bottom of this tab, you’ll find the word “Bibliography”.  Look an inch or so to the right of the word “Bibliography” and you’ll see an icon that looks like a diagonal arrow; click this button.  On the resulting Format Bibliography window, you’ll find the “Link in-text citations to references in the bibliography” setting- uncheck this box and click “OK”.  Please let me know if the formatting process completes successfully afterward.

Best Regards,

Jimmy M.
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com

laconic-

Your issue may be a little different.  Before merging your separate documents, did you first unformat the citations found within each section?  If you merged formatted documents into a single file, that could cause freezing and/or crashing during the formatting process.  If you don’t recall unformatting the separate sections before merging, I would go back to the original documents, save backup copies of these files, and then click “Convert Citations and Bibliography>Convert to Unformatted Citations”.  Once you’ve unformatted your separate sections, proceed with merging them into a single document and then choose “Update Citations and Bibliography” to reformat the new master document.  Please let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Jimmy M.
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com

Unfortunately that didn’t help. Do you have any other suggestions?

I think one of the bug fixes in X4 was to make that change “stick” - if you haven’t upgraded (which would make sense as you are using word2010 and they suggest that you don’t!)  -  if you don’t use footnote styles, I would lsuggest upgrading anyway. 

Sorry, I’m probably bit slow and English is not my first language, but I don’t understand what you mean. Which change are you talking about?

Solvi,

Sorry for being so cryptic.  This is a complicated and interwoven thread! I meant the underlined text in Jimmy’s response below.

You could try updating to X4.0.1 or  try turning off the hyperlink setting as described by Jimmy, but also unlinking the whole document, and then reformatting it (turning CWYW on, if you like again).  You might also just want to keep CWYW off for a while, working with the curly bracketed citations.  - and see if that makes things easier to work with, assuming that in a test, you can manually reformat them. 

As always, make sure you keep a copy of the original document, so you can back track to it. 

My further explanation:

The incomplete unlinking of the in-text citations to the references in the bibliography setting.  From the patch description page.

Cite While You Write for Microsoft Word:

• Fixed several footnote-related formatting issues
  • ‘Return to Word Processor’ command now works with Word 2010
  • Focus now jumps to the correct citation in the edit/manage dialog
  • Hyperlinks are no longer visible after having been removed
  • References are no longer unformatted when ‘author’ is excluded from in-text citations.

(another caveat from Leanne–  I am not sure if the Hyperlinks being “no longer visible” is different from them not having really been removed, but I can be pretty sure a disconnect between the two wouldn’t be a good thing!)

@jimmym wrote:

Solvi-

To begin troubleshooting this issue, I would start by turning off the EndNote X4 feature that makes clickable links between in-text citations and the bibliography within this problematic document .  To do this, in Word, choose the EndNote X4 tab.  At the bottom of this tab, you’ll find the word “Bibliography”.  Look an inch or so to the right of the word “Bibliography” and you’ll see an icon that looks like a diagonal arrow; click this button.  On the resulting Format Bibliography window, you’ll find the “Link in-text citations to references in the bibliography” setting- uncheck this box and click “OK”. 

I tried Jimmys suggestion and the hyperlinks were gone, but both the formatting process and adding new citations were still extremely slow. I also tried to unlink the document and then reformatting it again, but it was still slow.

When I keep CWYW off (curly bracketed citations) I can insert new citations without problems.