Treaty Template

I’m trying to cite a Treaty as per Bluebook standards.

I find that if I use the “Journal Article” message type, I get the proper citation, but if I modify an unused message type and use the same fields, I don’t get the same results.  What I want to be able to do is to copy the “journal article” message type, rename it 'treaty" and save it.  That would solve my problem, but there doesn’t seem to be anyway to do that.

Thanks.

Paul

So why not treat it as a “journal article” ref type. 

But if you want to create a new reference type, you also need to create the bibliography template to match it in your output style of choice.  the easiest way to do that, if you are using the equivalents of the journal fields and it was organized more or less the way you wanted it, is to copy the journal template to your new ref type template.  It will automatically change to the appropriate style field names.  Right now, your “unmatched” ref type, is using the generic template which isn’t mapping the correct template fields. 

I don’t want to use Journal, because I am doing a doctoral thesis and when I do my bibliography, it will inevitably list Treaties as journals.

You mnentioned that I could copy the “journal template to your new ref type template.”  I am unaware of how “templates” and “style” work in Endnote, but the “edit/preferences/reference type/journal article” allows me to modify “journal article” but not to copy its features to another file.  I live in Canada and we use McGill’s Red Book for Canadian legal citation and the Blue Book for articles published in U.S. journals.  If I could save the “journal article” reference type as “Treaty” while retaining the original, I would be set, but I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks.

Paul

A recent discussion on creating a reference template and the corresponding output style may be found here: http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-Styles-Filters-and/Endnote-4-Template-for-citing-dockets/td-p/15315

The example illustrates the procedures in making a “Docket”.   In your case when making the Reference Type you will use the same field locations as shown in the “Journal” template.  Then when creating the output style template, you can copy-and-paste the Journal template into the new “Treaty” template then change the field names to match what you used in the corresponding “Treaty” reference type template.

II am not having any luck getting TREATIES to format in Blue Book style

Here is what I have done.

I managed to “copy” the “Journal Article” reference type, but I haven’t solved my problem.

Here is what I did.

1. I exported my “Reference Type Table”

2. I then used a text editor to copy the “Journal Article” reference type.

<RefType id=“0” name=“Journal Article”>

<Fields>

<Field id=“2” order=“10”>Author</Field>

<Field id=“3” order=“20”>Year</Field>

<Field id=“4” order=“30”>Title</Field>

<Field id=“6” order=“50”>Journal</Field>

<Field id=“7” order=“80”>Volume</Field>

<Field id=“8” order=“100”>Issue</Field>

<Field id=“5” order=“110”>Pages</Field>

<Field id=“35” order=“120”>Start Page</Field>

<Field id=“14” order=“150”>Epub Date</Field>

<Field id=“17” order=“160”>Date</Field>

<Field id=“16” order=“170”>Type of Article</Field>

<Field id=“32” order=“190”>Short Title</Field>

<Field id=“29” order=“200”>Alternate Journal</Field>

<Field id=“24” order=“210”>ISSN</Field>

<Field id=“43” order=“220”>DOI</Field>

<Field id=“36” order=“230”>Original Publication</Field>

<Field id=“37” order=“240”>Reprint Edition</Field>

<Field id=“38” order=“250”>Reviewed Item</Field>

<Field id=“25” order=“260”>Legal Note</Field>

<Field id=“26” order=“270”>PMCID</Field>

<Field id=“30” order=“340”>Accession Number</Field>

<Field id=“31” order=“350”>Call Number</Field>

<Field id=“19” order=“360”>Label</Field>

<Field id=“15” order=“370”>Keywords</Field>

<Field id=“18” order=“380”>Abstract</Field>

<Field id=“23” order=“390”>Notes</Field>

<Field id=“49” order=“400”>Research Notes</Field>

<Field id=“20” order=“410”>URL</Field>

<Field id=“44” order=“420”>File Attachments</Field>

<Field id=“39” order=“430”>Author Address</Field>

<Field id=“40” order=“440”>Figure</Field>

<Field id=“41” order=“450”>Caption</Field>

<Field id=“51” order=“460”>Access Date</Field>

<Field id=“45” order=“470”>Translated Author</Field>

<Field id=“46” order=“480”>Translated Title</Field>

<Field id=“47” order=“490”>Name of Database</Field>

<Field id=“48” order=“500”>Database Provider</Field>

<Field id=“50” order=“510”>Language</Field>

</Fields>

</RefType>

1. I then used the above text to replace the text associated with REF TYPE 41 “Grants”  Thus, REF TYPE 41 now reads “Treaty” but is in every other respect idential to “Journal Article”

However I’m not getting the formatting I want.

When I use “Journal Article” to format a Canada-U.S. treaty, I get: 

Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United States of America on Air Quality, CTS 1991/3 (Mar 13, 1991).

When I use “Treaty” which is a duplicate of “Journal Article” to format the same treaty, I get:

Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United States of America on Air Quality  § CTS (Mar 13, 1991).

It deletes the volume number, 1991/3 and inserts “§”

More troubling, I get identical results if I use the “pamphlet” or “Government Document” even thought these Ref Types are very different from “Journal Article” of which “Treaty” is a copy.

Is there something basic that I am doing incorrectly?  Can someone please provide me with some insight?

Thanks.

Paul

Check your output style’s “Bibliography” template to address the following:

1. Change the Title field’s font style in the bibliography template so it is italicized.  [Go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, NAME of the style you’re using.  Then within the style’s pop-up window, locate “Templates” below Bibliography. Locate the Treaty template, select the Title field, then click the “I” at the top to italicize the field.]  You can also insert a comma after the title (as illustrated in your example).

2. Check the Treaty template to see if there’s the  § symbol - if so, delete it.  If not you can check if there’s an embedded code in the template or in the reference type and remove it.  Also the template should include the “Volume” field (unless you renamed it in the reference template to generate the 1991/3 information.

As for Pamphlet and Government document do you know whether they were different before or after your exporting procedure?  You can check the reference template’s fields against those shown in the manual, and check the original output style to compare the fields.  If there are discrepanices they’ll need to be resolved manually.

If you’re stuck, attach your output style. 

fitzgep wrote:

However I’m not getting the formatting I want.

When I use “Journal Article” to format a Canada-U.S. treaty, I get: 

Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United States of America on Air Quality, CTS 1991/3 (Mar 13, 1991).

When I use “Treaty” which is a duplicate of “Journal Article” to format the same treaty, I get:

Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United States of America on Air Quality  § CTS (Mar 13, 1991).

It deletes the volume number, 1991/3 and inserts “§”

More troubling, I get identical results if I use the “pamphlet” or “Government Document” even thought these Ref Types are very different from “Journal Article” of which “Treaty” is a copy.

Is there something basic that I am doing incorrectly?  Can someone please provide me with some insight?

Thanks.

Paul

Thanks.

That was really helpful.

Paiul